Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes linebacker Darrion Owens out for the season

Sophomore linebacker Darrion Owens will miss the rest of the season with a right knee injury, coach Al Golden announced Sunday night.

Owens injured his knee early in Friday’s game against Florida Atlantic. Golden did not specify Owens’ injury, but did say the Orange Park native will undergo surgery in the next 10 days.

“One of our hardest workers. We feel badly for him, but we have some guys that have to step up,” Golden said on a conference call Sunday night. “We have to have a next man up mentality and get that situated by the time we go back to work Tuesday.”

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound linebacker out of Oakleaf High School was a crucial member of the Canes’ defense. Owens played mostly as an outside linebacker but was capable of filling in at multiple positions on the defense. Senior linebacker Tyriq McCord will likely take his place in the starting lineup.

On a more positive note for the Canes, receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley as well as linebacker Juwon Young will return to practice this week and could play in Saturday’s game against Nebraska.

The Canes take on Nebraska at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Feature photo courtesy of HurricaneSports.com.

Mark Singer

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...