Football, Sports

Miami Hurricanes linebacker Darrion Owens out for the season

Sophomore linebacker Darrion Owens will miss the rest of the season with a right knee injury, coach Al Golden announced Sunday night.

Owens injured his knee early in Friday’s game against Florida Atlantic. Golden did not specify Owens’ injury, but did say the Orange Park native will undergo surgery in the next 10 days.

“One of our hardest workers. We feel badly for him, but we have some guys that have to step up,” Golden said on a conference call Sunday night. “We have to have a next man up mentality and get that situated by the time we go back to work Tuesday.”

The 6-foot-3, 247-pound linebacker out of Oakleaf High School was a crucial member of the Canes’ defense. Owens played mostly as an outside linebacker but was capable of filling in at multiple positions on the defense. Senior linebacker Tyriq McCord will likely take his place in the starting lineup.

On a more positive note for the Canes, receivers Braxton Berrios and Stacy Coley as well as linebacker Juwon Young will return to practice this week and could play in Saturday’s game against Nebraska.

The Canes take on Nebraska at 3:30 p.m. Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Feature photo courtesy of HurricaneSports.com.

Mark Singer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...