Soccer, Sports

Canes soccer wins third in a row with 5-1 rout over North Florida

Gracie Lachowecki (17) runs past a UNF player in an attempt to score a goal Sunday afternoon. Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes won their third game in a row by scoring a season-high five goals in a 5-1 rout over North Florida at Cobb Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Miami (3-4) jumped out to an early lead on a penalty kick goal by senior forward Amy Schmidt in the 16th minute. The Ospreys tripped freshman midfielder Ainsly Wolfinbarger in the box to give the Canes a shot from the penalty mark.

Less than a minute later, Schmidt found junior Gracie Lachowecki by the net and the forward knocked it past goalkeeper Victoria Ekeli to put Miami up 2-0.

Sophomore Grace Rapp decided to take on the Ospreys by herself in the 30th minute and cut through the North Florida defense to put the Hurricanes up 3-0 in the first half.

“I said before the game that what we struggled with in the past is having intensity from the first few minutes,” Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said to HurricaneSports.com. “So that was our goal, to just come out and fight, be intense, to have energy and high pressure. That’s what they did.”

Miami broke through again in the 67th minute to take a commanding 4-0 lead on senior forward Jasmine Paterson’s first goal of the season.

The Ospreys (1-6) responded quickly with a penalty kick goal of their own in the 68th minute. Senior midfielder Lanie Keating put North Florida on the board with the only shot of the day to get by redshirt freshman goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce.

Rapp wrapped up the game with her second goal three minutes later off a rebound to put Miami ahead 5-1. The Canes last scored five goals back on Sept. 6, 2013, in a 6-1 win over Cleveland State at Cobb Stadium.

The Canes open up ACC play with a match against Wake Forest at 7 p.m. Friday in Winstom-Salem, North Carolina.

Ainsly Wolfinbarger (11) drives past a UNF player on Sunday. The Canes won 5-1 to University of North Florida. Gian Piero // Contributing Photographer

Mark Singer

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of