Community, News

Miami-Dade Police Department investigates apparent suicide at Gables Ponce apartments

A Miami Dade Police Department investigation is underway into an apparent suicide that occurred this morning at Gables Ponce apartments at 4557 Ponce De Leon Blvd in Coral Gables. Police notified the University of Miami’s administration that it was not a UM student, according to Margot Winick, UM assistant vice president of Media Relations. The apartments have become a popular off-campus housing option for UM students since it opened in July of 2013.

Witness Nick Carra, a senior broadcast journalism major at UM, said that the victim appeared to be a male who was “18 or 19,” and that the incident happened around 10:30 a.m.

“I was at my girlfriend’s apartment and someone was out on the balcony and they said, ‘Oh my god, is this real?’ I went out and saw the cops downstairs and a body bag, so I thought someone had died. Then I saw the body hanging from a sixth floor balcony. It dropped down to the fifth,” where Carra said the body stayed. “It was scarring. It’s something I can never unsee.”

Winick added that the university reminds all students that the counseling center on campus is open for anyone seeking help. The counseling center can be reached at 305-284-5511.

According to Emory University, the suicide rate is between 0.5 and 7.5 per 100,000 among college students, and there are more than 1,000 suicides on college campuses per year.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...