Community, News

Miami-Dade Police Department investigates apparent suicide at Gables Ponce apartments

A Miami Dade Police Department investigation is underway into an apparent suicide that occurred this morning at Gables Ponce apartments at 4557 Ponce De Leon Blvd in Coral Gables. Police notified the University of Miami’s administration that it was not a UM student, according to Margot Winick, UM assistant vice president of Media Relations. The apartments have become a popular off-campus housing option for UM students since it opened in July of 2013.

Witness Nick Carra, a senior broadcast journalism major at UM, said that the victim appeared to be a male who was “18 or 19,” and that the incident happened around 10:30 a.m.

“I was at my girlfriend’s apartment and someone was out on the balcony and they said, ‘Oh my god, is this real?’ I went out and saw the cops downstairs and a body bag, so I thought someone had died. Then I saw the body hanging from a sixth floor balcony. It dropped down to the fifth,” where Carra said the body stayed. “It was scarring. It’s something I can never unsee.”

Winick added that the university reminds all students that the counseling center on campus is open for anyone seeking help. The counseling center can be reached at 305-284-5511.

According to Emory University, the suicide rate is between 0.5 and 7.5 per 100,000 among college students, and there are more than 1,000 suicides on college campuses per year.

William Riggin

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...