Academics, Administration, News

UM falls in national ranking

Wednesday morning US News World & Report released 2016 Best Colleges List and the University of Miami landed at No. 51, falling three spots from last year’s ranking. It is the first time the school has fallen out of the top 50 in the rankings since 2009. UM was tied at No. 48 with the University of Florida, which moved up a spot to No. 47 and is now the top-ranked Florida school. In a statement, UM said:

“The 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges ranking continues to affirm the value of a University of Miami degree among the top research universities nationally, while recognizing our ongoing focus on student retention, graduation rates and fundraising.  The University of Miami’s graduation rate is 81 percent and freshman retention rate is 92 percent. Additionally, alumni giving improved this year and is reflected in the ranking.  Our unprecedented $1.6 billion Momentum2: The Breakthrough Campaign for the University of Miami reached its goal in May.”

Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia made up the top four spots in the rankings, respectively.

Florida State University in Tallahassee came in at 96.

See More: “Ranking not reflective of campus reality”

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Hans.

Correction, Sept. 10, 2015: In the original post, Yale was listed as ranked No. 2 and Harvard as No. 3, which is incorrect. Harvard is No. 2, and Yale is No. 3. In addition, “Colombia” was misspelled. The correct spelling is “Columbia.”

William Riggin

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...