Academics, Administration, News

UM falls in national ranking

Wednesday morning US News World & Report released 2016 Best Colleges List and the University of Miami landed at No. 51, falling three spots from last year’s ranking. It is the first time the school has fallen out of the top 50 in the rankings since 2009. UM was tied at No. 48 with the University of Florida, which moved up a spot to No. 47 and is now the top-ranked Florida school. In a statement, UM said:

“The 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges ranking continues to affirm the value of a University of Miami degree among the top research universities nationally, while recognizing our ongoing focus on student retention, graduation rates and fundraising.  The University of Miami’s graduation rate is 81 percent and freshman retention rate is 92 percent. Additionally, alumni giving improved this year and is reflected in the ranking.  Our unprecedented $1.6 billion Momentum2: The Breakthrough Campaign for the University of Miami reached its goal in May.”

Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia made up the top four spots in the rankings, respectively.

Florida State University in Tallahassee came in at 96.

See More: “Ranking not reflective of campus reality”

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Hans.

Correction, Sept. 10, 2015: In the original post, Yale was listed as ranked No. 2 and Harvard as No. 3, which is incorrect. Harvard is No. 2, and Yale is No. 3. In addition, “Colombia” was misspelled. The correct spelling is “Columbia.”

William Riggin

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...