Academics, Administration, News

UM falls in national ranking

Wednesday morning US News World & Report released 2016 Best Colleges List and the University of Miami landed at No. 51, falling three spots from last year’s ranking. It is the first time the school has fallen out of the top 50 in the rankings since 2009. UM was tied at No. 48 with the University of Florida, which moved up a spot to No. 47 and is now the top-ranked Florida school. In a statement, UM said:

“The 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges ranking continues to affirm the value of a University of Miami degree among the top research universities nationally, while recognizing our ongoing focus on student retention, graduation rates and fundraising.  The University of Miami’s graduation rate is 81 percent and freshman retention rate is 92 percent. Additionally, alumni giving improved this year and is reflected in the ranking.  Our unprecedented $1.6 billion Momentum2: The Breakthrough Campaign for the University of Miami reached its goal in May.”

Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia made up the top four spots in the rankings, respectively.

Florida State University in Tallahassee came in at 96.

See More: “Ranking not reflective of campus reality”

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Hans.

Correction, Sept. 10, 2015: In the original post, Yale was listed as ranked No. 2 and Harvard as No. 3, which is incorrect. Harvard is No. 2, and Yale is No. 3. In addition, “Colombia” was misspelled. The correct spelling is “Columbia.”

William Riggin

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...