Academics, Administration, News

UM falls in national ranking

Wednesday morning US News World & Report released 2016 Best Colleges List and the University of Miami landed at No. 51, falling three spots from last year’s ranking. It is the first time the school has fallen out of the top 50 in the rankings since 2009. UM was tied at No. 48 with the University of Florida, which moved up a spot to No. 47 and is now the top-ranked Florida school. In a statement, UM said:

“The 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges ranking continues to affirm the value of a University of Miami degree among the top research universities nationally, while recognizing our ongoing focus on student retention, graduation rates and fundraising.  The University of Miami’s graduation rate is 81 percent and freshman retention rate is 92 percent. Additionally, alumni giving improved this year and is reflected in the ranking.  Our unprecedented $1.6 billion Momentum2: The Breakthrough Campaign for the University of Miami reached its goal in May.”

Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia made up the top four spots in the rankings, respectively.

Florida State University in Tallahassee came in at 96.

See More: “Ranking not reflective of campus reality”

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Hans.

Correction, Sept. 10, 2015: In the original post, Yale was listed as ranked No. 2 and Harvard as No. 3, which is incorrect. Harvard is No. 2, and Yale is No. 3. In addition, “Colombia” was misspelled. The correct spelling is “Columbia.”

William Riggin

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of