Academics, Administration, News

UM falls in national ranking

Wednesday morning US News World & Report released 2016 Best Colleges List and the University of Miami landed at No. 51, falling three spots from last year’s ranking. It is the first time the school has fallen out of the top 50 in the rankings since 2009. UM was tied at No. 48 with the University of Florida, which moved up a spot to No. 47 and is now the top-ranked Florida school. In a statement, UM said:

“The 2016 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges ranking continues to affirm the value of a University of Miami degree among the top research universities nationally, while recognizing our ongoing focus on student retention, graduation rates and fundraising.  The University of Miami’s graduation rate is 81 percent and freshman retention rate is 92 percent. Additionally, alumni giving improved this year and is reflected in the ranking.  Our unprecedented $1.6 billion Momentum2: The Breakthrough Campaign for the University of Miami reached its goal in May.”

Princeton, Harvard, Yale and Columbia made up the top four spots in the rankings, respectively.

Florida State University in Tallahassee came in at 96.

See More: “Ranking not reflective of campus reality”

Feature photo courtesy Pixabay user Hans.

Correction, Sept. 10, 2015: In the original post, Yale was listed as ranked No. 2 and Harvard as No. 3, which is incorrect. Harvard is No. 2, and Yale is No. 3. In addition, “Colombia” was misspelled. The correct spelling is “Columbia.”

William Riggin

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...