Kanye sees presidential vision in 2020

Opinion_Kanye2020

Illustration by Silvana Arguello

Kanye 2020. Kanye West Wing. Kim K for first lady.

A new political phenomenon rocked the nation during last week’s MTV Video Music Awards (VMAs). Ever since then, Kanye West has been consistently trending on Facebook and Twitter. Meanwhile, Yeezus himself has been flying under the radar after his big announcement, besides the beautiful flower bouquet he sent to Taylor Swift. However, it’s never too soon to start seriously considering what a Kanye candidacy would look like.

Though 2020 is still five years away, Mr. West has actually articulated some more cohesive policy positions than many of the 2016 candidates.

First off, Yeezy sticks to his liberal roots when he tells this parable about the ineffectuality of charitable giving: “The church want tithe, so I can’t afford to pay/Pink slip on my door, cause I can’t afford to stay/My fifteen seconds up, but I got more to say/’That’s enough Mr. West, please, no more today.’”

Here, Kanye takes on the role of his younger, struggling self reaching out to a pastor for help. West seems to be saying that poverty is a systemic problem best dealt with at a causal level rather than having churches and private charities bandage the symptoms.

On the other hand, he has some pretty conservative messages on making college tuition more affordable. In his 2004 track “We Don’t Care,” ‘Ye rapped the lines, “Cause ain’t no tuition for having no ambition/And ain’t no loans for sittin’ your ass at home.”

It should be noted that over a decade has passed since that song dropped, so maybe West has evolved on this individualistic stance.

He may not have a lot of political experience, but ‘Ye has proven to be a renaissance man in other areas, taking on the fashion industry in addition to his thriving music career. With candidates like Donald Trump and Ben Carson polling so well, West’s lack of political experience may be a boon.

I predict Mr. West would gain wide-ranging support, from the religious folks he won over with his insanely popular ode, “Jesus Walks,” to the Black Lives Matter movement with his frequent criticism of race relations in his song “New Slaves.”

He definitely already has the endorsement of rapper Big Sean, who once dropped the line, “’I know Kanye a jerk,’ how could you say that?/He rode me and my mama ‘round in his Maybach.”

A lot can happen between now and the 2020 race. Either way, the 2015 VMAs will go down in history as the point Kanye West eclipsed the reputation left behind by his 2009 VMAs outburst and becomes an icon of thoughtfulness, creativity and the American spirit. The real question is: what will be his campaign anthem?

Annie Cappetta is a sophomore majoring in political science.

Annie Cappetta

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...