Community, Crime and Safety, News

Families awarded damages after death of students Ying Chen, Hao Liu

On Tuesday a jury awarded $8.6 million in damages to the families of two international students from China who were attending UM when they were struck and killed by a car on Oct. 16, 2013.

Ying Chen and Hao Liu were crossing Kendall Drive and Southwest 68th Court in Pinecrest on the way back to their apartment when Milady Pequeno struck the students with her Porsche. In 2014, Pequeno was found guilty of careless driving and had her license suspended for two years.

“Even though there are verdicts, the charges are fair and just, the family is kind of upset because their two young lives have gone and their children will never come back,” family-friend Kai Zang said, according to WSVN.com.

Featured Image courtesy www.wsvn.com

William Riggin

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...