Community, Crime and Safety, News

Families awarded damages after death of students Ying Chen, Hao Liu

On Tuesday a jury awarded $8.6 million in damages to the families of two international students from China who were attending UM when they were struck and killed by a car on Oct. 16, 2013.

Ying Chen and Hao Liu were crossing Kendall Drive and Southwest 68th Court in Pinecrest on the way back to their apartment when Milady Pequeno struck the students with her Porsche. In 2014, Pequeno was found guilty of careless driving and had her license suspended for two years.

“Even though there are verdicts, the charges are fair and just, the family is kind of upset because their two young lives have gone and their children will never come back,” family-friend Kai Zang said, according to WSVN.com.

Featured Image courtesy www.wsvn.com

William Riggin

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...