Community, Crime and Safety, News

Families awarded damages after death of students Ying Chen, Hao Liu

On Tuesday a jury awarded $8.6 million in damages to the families of two international students from China who were attending UM when they were struck and killed by a car on Oct. 16, 2013.

Ying Chen and Hao Liu were crossing Kendall Drive and Southwest 68th Court in Pinecrest on the way back to their apartment when Milady Pequeno struck the students with her Porsche. In 2014, Pequeno was found guilty of careless driving and had her license suspended for two years.

“Even though there are verdicts, the charges are fair and just, the family is kind of upset because their two young lives have gone and their children will never come back,” family-friend Kai Zang said, according to WSVN.com.

Featured Image courtesy www.wsvn.com

William Riggin

The University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School lecture series continue this spring

As the coronavirus swept into South Florida, students in the inaugural Your Health, Your Immune Syst

Levels of bacteria dropped only days after the COVID-19 pandemic forced the closure of recreational

The University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas hosted an online seminar Wednes

Ariel Rose, a Frost School of Music graduate, talks about her experience at the University of Miami