Community, Crime and Safety, News

Families awarded damages after death of students Ying Chen, Hao Liu

On Tuesday a jury awarded $8.6 million in damages to the families of two international students from China who were attending UM when they were struck and killed by a car on Oct. 16, 2013.

Ying Chen and Hao Liu were crossing Kendall Drive and Southwest 68th Court in Pinecrest on the way back to their apartment when Milady Pequeno struck the students with her Porsche. In 2014, Pequeno was found guilty of careless driving and had her license suspended for two years.

“Even though there are verdicts, the charges are fair and just, the family is kind of upset because their two young lives have gone and their children will never come back,” family-friend Kai Zang said, according to WSVN.com.

Featured Image courtesy www.wsvn.com

William Riggin

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...