Edge, Food

Miami Spice serves up high-end meals at bargained prices

Miami is a food lover’s paradise, but sampling high-end cuisine can put a strain on the college foodie’s wallet. Until the end of September, though, you can fill your belly without starving your bank account, thanks to Miami Spice.

Miami Spice is an annual promotion sponsored by the Greater Miami Conventions & Visitors Bureau, which also offers special monthly deals on attractions including two for one admissions in October, shopping savings in March and sports discounts in April, among others.

Over 100 restaurants from all around the region offer $23 lunch and $39 dinner prix fixe menus to promote Miami’s culinary culture. These multi-course meals often feature exclusive dishes conceived just for the event, and are almost always without fail a better bargain than visiting at any other time of year.

With so many participating establishments, the range of cuisines is nearly limitless. Some good options close to campus are Bulla Gastrobar, which specializes in Spanish tapas, Ortanique, a Caribbean bistro whose menu changes daily and Swine, a meat-lover’s paradise, all on Miracle Mile.

Sushi aficionados are well-acquainted with the hefty price-tag of their preferred dish, but Miami Spice provides them with a more affordable meal. Sawa and Crave in Merrick Park, as well as SUSHISAMBA on Miracle Mile, are all participating and offering both traditional and fusion spins on the classic Japanese roll.

Miami Spice is also a great opportunity to impress a date without breaking the bank. Both Red Fish Grill on Biscayne Bay and The Rusty Pelican on Key Biscayne are known for their romantic atmospheres and breathtaking views.

Vegetarians take heed: you’ll need to dig to find options that cater to your needs. However, there are quality options out there, including db Bistro Moderne, a NYC import that offers a sweet and sour eggplant main, and Icebox Café in Miami Beach, which serves a vegetable ravioli. Both feature exceptional dessert choices as a sweet ending to the meal.

Miami is home to a surprising number of restaurants that have been featured on national television, and Miami Spice provides an opportunity to experience these famous spots. Morimoto of “Iron Chef” fame is participating (with incidentally one of the best bargains available), as well as The Federal, which has been featured on “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” Tongue & Cheek, a competitor on Bravo’s “Best New Restaurant,” also offers a special menu, including one of the few weekend brunch options available.

It’s impossible to get more than a small taste of all Miami Spice has to offer in two short months. Even for seasoned locals, there’s plenty to savor and enjoy.

Madelyn Paquette

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...