Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball goes 0-3 in Missouri State Tournament

The Canes went 0-3 in their first venture on the road this season at the Missouri State Tournament over the weekend. Although the team lost all its matches, the Canes put forth a valiant effort. Coach Jose Gandara’s squad took Oral Roberts to four games and both Missouri State and Marquette to five games before being defeated.

The strong effort is reflected in the team’s offensive strides and proves once again Miami’s depth at the hitting position. Sophomore setter Haley Templeton had 136 assists on the weekend and the team had a total of 171 kills. In the Friday night match versus Missouri State, Alexis Mourning, Kelsie Groot, Olga Strantzali and Taylor Scott all had over 10 kills. On Saturday, Strantzali led the team with a whopping 24 kills in the Marquette game followed up by 14 in the final match against Oral Roberts.

Coach Gandara played around with the starting lineup during the tournament, something he says will continue for the entirety of the season. In the Marquette match, Gandara put in freshman Lucia Pampana to play for Sakile Simmons. The Italian native made her college debut in the Florida A&M game at the Hurricane Invitational on Aug. 29. The games versus Marquette and Oral Roberts were her first chances at playing since that debut. Pampana recorded eight kills over the two games, raising her season total to nine.

Miami (3-3) has two more tournaments coming up before the start of conference play. The Canes will travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to take on Purdue and Louisiana State for the LSU Tournament on Sept. 12 and 13. The team will be back home in Coral Gables on Sept. 17 to battle Central Florida and Seattle University in the FIU/Miami Challenge.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Rachel Cox-Rosen

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...