Freshmen Walk gives new Canes fun first memory

Saturday afternoon before the football team took on the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats, freshmen and first-year students prepared for the University of Miami’s annual tradition that takes place each first home game of the season: Freshmen Walk. Freshmen Walk is an initiative created by Category 5 and Hurricane Athletics that allows freshmen to walk on to the Sun Life Stadium football field before the first home game begins.

“Across recent years, we [Category 5] have looked at Freshmen Walk as the start of freshmen and first-year students’ time at the University of Miami, starting on the field, then ending on the field as a senior,” said Hecht Residential College Area Director Jeremy Bourgoin. “To actually be a UM fan and a Miami Hurricane and actually walk on the field where the [football]players are going to be playing an hour later is something really special.”

Due to the early arrival needed for Freshmen Walk, students loaded the buses in the middle of Saturday’s downpour. Despite the rain, freshmen and first-year students did not miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“You’d think that the rain would bring people down and lower their spirits, but it just made more people pumped for the game,” said freshman Summer Singh. “As soon as we stepped off the bus, everyone poured out. It was like the bus ride was just quiet as everyone dried off and recharged. Once everyone got off, it was almost the same amount of energy or more than getting onto the bus,” said Singh.

Once students got to the stadium, the sky cleared and the rain stopped. Students prepared to go through the tunnel.

“Running through the tunnel got me really pumped up for the game,” said freshman Bruna Fernandes Da La Silva.

While the event is designed for freshmen and first-year students only, students that are freshmen resident assistants get the opportunity to relive freshmen walk with their residents.

“My freshman year, I was very awestruck. This year, though, I was more focused on my resident’s reaction than my surroundings. Seeing all of their faces light up and the speechless expressions was honestly more fulfilling,” said resident assistant and junior Ivan Traczuk. “They’ll have their memories of tailgating and the rowdy student section, but they’ll also have the memory of starting their careers as a Miami Hurricane on the field. That’s something not every college student can say,” Traczuk said.

For students that were unable to make freshmen walk, the senior walk at the final home game of the season gives them the opportunity to walk the field as a senior to close out their time as a Miami Hurricane.

Correction, 3:25 p.m., Sept. 9, 2015: This article originally stated that Freshmen Walk was created by the Dean of Students Office, which is incorrect. Freshmen Walk was created by Category 5 and Hurricane Athletics.

Alexis McDonald

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...