Campus Life, News

Fresh Fusion solution for those with dietary restrictions

Recently opened Fresh Fusion Restaurant offers a selection of vegetarian meals, served in an Asian or Mediterrenean style. Located next to the Jamba Juice in the Shalala Student Center, Fresh Fusion is open from 11am-6pm Monday to Thursday and until 5pm on Fridays. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

While some students mourned the loss of Made to Order — lovingly known as M2O — upon return to campus, others celebrated the addition of Fresh Fusion, a flavorful vegetarian restaurant that opened in its place, located next to Jamba Juice in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center.

Fusion’s menu is different from other dining on campus because of the combination of international flavors with western staples. The naan salads come with mixed greens and toppings served over a warm piece of naan bread, a savory flatbread of Asian origin.

The Chana Masala bowl is another popular option, according to a suggestion by a Fusion employee. A bed of hot brown rice and quinoa is topped with a sofrito-style blend of chickpeas, tomatoes, ginger and spices. Fusion also serves ramen noodle bowls with miso and vegetable broth, daily bisques, mac and cheese and even mozzarella, cheddar and american, pepper jack or brie grilled cheese.

Prices range from $3.99 for a bowl of the soup of the day to $5.99 for the naan salad, making it one of the less expensive dining options on campus.

“It was great food,” said Kyle Kennedy, a fifth-year student and pescetarian who tried the ramen noodle bowl for the first time. “I wish it was a little more food but other than that, it was delicious.”

Fusion’s flavorful meals appeal to health-conscious students, but are also vegetarian and kosher-friendly. In recent years, UM has improved and expanded dining options for dietary restrictions. Jamba Juice, Sushi Maki, Lime, Starbucks and Tossed all have options that are free of animal products.

Although Fusion is not certified as kosher, Jewish students who maintain a less strict kosher diet (those who do not eat meat products or shellfish and do not avoid cross-contamination between products) can eat most of the options.

“Because keeping kosher means being strict about meat, most kosher individuals on campus probably follow a vegetarian diet,” said Ellie Goldenberg, a Jewish musical theatre student who ate a kosher diet until starting at the university three years ago.

According to University of Miami Dining Services, there are no strictly vegetarian or kosher meal plans available, but students may choose from dining options that suit their dietary needs. The new deli inside Outtakes market is completely kosher. Also, there will be a kosher cafe inside the Braman Miller Center for Jewish Student Life, which broke ground in October 2014 and is currently under construction.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...