Campus Life, News

Fresh Fusion solution for those with dietary restrictions

Recently opened Fresh Fusion Restaurant offers a selection of vegetarian meals, served in an Asian or Mediterrenean style. Located next to the Jamba Juice in the Shalala Student Center, Fresh Fusion is open from 11am-6pm Monday to Thursday and until 5pm on Fridays. Alisha Kabir // Contributing Photographer

While some students mourned the loss of Made to Order — lovingly known as M2O — upon return to campus, others celebrated the addition of Fresh Fusion, a flavorful vegetarian restaurant that opened in its place, located next to Jamba Juice in the Donna E. Shalala Student Center.

Fusion’s menu is different from other dining on campus because of the combination of international flavors with western staples. The naan salads come with mixed greens and toppings served over a warm piece of naan bread, a savory flatbread of Asian origin.

The Chana Masala bowl is another popular option, according to a suggestion by a Fusion employee. A bed of hot brown rice and quinoa is topped with a sofrito-style blend of chickpeas, tomatoes, ginger and spices. Fusion also serves ramen noodle bowls with miso and vegetable broth, daily bisques, mac and cheese and even mozzarella, cheddar and american, pepper jack or brie grilled cheese.

Prices range from $3.99 for a bowl of the soup of the day to $5.99 for the naan salad, making it one of the less expensive dining options on campus.

“It was great food,” said Kyle Kennedy, a fifth-year student and pescetarian who tried the ramen noodle bowl for the first time. “I wish it was a little more food but other than that, it was delicious.”

Fusion’s flavorful meals appeal to health-conscious students, but are also vegetarian and kosher-friendly. In recent years, UM has improved and expanded dining options for dietary restrictions. Jamba Juice, Sushi Maki, Lime, Starbucks and Tossed all have options that are free of animal products.

Although Fusion is not certified as kosher, Jewish students who maintain a less strict kosher diet (those who do not eat meat products or shellfish and do not avoid cross-contamination between products) can eat most of the options.

“Because keeping kosher means being strict about meat, most kosher individuals on campus probably follow a vegetarian diet,” said Ellie Goldenberg, a Jewish musical theatre student who ate a kosher diet until starting at the university three years ago.

According to University of Miami Dining Services, there are no strictly vegetarian or kosher meal plans available, but students may choose from dining options that suit their dietary needs. The new deli inside Outtakes market is completely kosher. Also, there will be a kosher cafe inside the Braman Miller Center for Jewish Student Life, which broke ground in October 2014 and is currently under construction.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...