Campus Life, Multimedia, News, Student Organization, Video

Hurricanettes color guard returns to Hurricanes home game

A field littered with six-foot green, yellow, silver and gold metallic flags has become the norm again for the University of Miami Color Guard team. The Hurricanettes waved back into action this Saturday at the first football game of the season against Bethune-Cookman after a temporary leave of absence the last three years due to limited commitment.

“This year we took people with previous experience and added people who hadn’t spun before but were really interested in joining to put together the team,” sophomore Hurricanette Sondra Pearson said. “Having a presence out there is really important. And just practicing on the field or carrying the flags around lets people see and learn about us.”

The Hurricanettes practice four days a week alongside the Frost Band of the Hour to choreograph routines that include rhythmic dancing and flag-waving. They also attend all Band of the Hour events performing at pep rallies, homecoming, tailgates and other school functions.

“We add a visual and colorful aspect to marching band to interpret the music,” Pearson said. “What most people notice first is the flags because they’re so big, so we work really hard to create a great routine.”

The team performs several different routines including a full halftime show and additional pieces, like “Miami U” and “Hail to the Spirit of Miami U.”

“The show this year is Rhianna and it’s really cool because at one point in the routine all the dancers join in and the whole field is covered in flags,” Hurricanettes coach Amy McCullough said.

The Hurricanettes delivered a spirited performance of the crowd-pleasing Rihanna tunes “Where Have You Been,” “Only Girl in the World” and “S&M” during halftime. Flags twirling in sync and fans cheering,  the Color Guard’s return was made completely by the football team’s resounding 45-0 win.

“The game was an amazing experience,” senior and new Hurricanette member Colene Gogue said. “It felt great looking up to the field instead of down, and I can’t wait for the next game.”

This season, the team is emphasizing gaining experience, practicing safe moves and enjoying their re-entry to the Canes field. In order to overcome the brief absence they took, the eight 2015-16 Color Guard team members and coach Amy McCullough have collaborated to focus on getting their foot in the door and creating a foundation and stable performances to build from in coming years.

“I think it’s important that we generate motivation and keep the momentum up throughout the season,” Gogue said.

“We’re excited to put the flag to the field and enjoy the challenge,” Pearson added.

For more information on the Color Guard, please visit the Band of the Hour’s website.

Feature photo courtesy Hurricanettes Color Guard Facebook page.

Olivia Osburn

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...