Sports, Swimming/Diving

Hurricanes divers David Dinsmore, Briadam Herrera win national titles

The future is looking bright for coach Randy Ableman’s diving team this season as two of his underclassman divers, freshman David Dinsmore and sophomore Briadam Herrera, won national titles at the 2015 AT&T National Diving Championships held in Orlando, Florida in August.

Dinsmore, who represented the United States at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia in July, won the men’s 10-meter platform event with 422.15 points. He was in a tight race for the gold with diver Zach Cooper, but Dinsmore came out on top in the final round, winning by 15.85 points.

“It came down to the last dive, and that’s what makes a great contest,” Dinsmore said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was a little tough for me coming back from worlds – you’re on such a high and then you’ve got to get ready for nationals a week later.”

Like Dinsmore, Herrera also had a busy summer: he won bronze in the men’s 1-meter at the 2015 World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea in July. The Cuban native finished the AT&T Championships with 435 points in the 1-meter, outscoring second place finisher Aaron Fleshner by 60.85 points.

“I thought I did really well. My dives felt good, and I thought I was powerful. Everything went right,” Herrera said to HurricaneSports.com.

The young talents are important assets to the team this season, especially after the departure of national champion and 2014-15 male student-athlete of the year, Sam Dorman. Coach Ableman expects to see great things from Dinsmore and Herrera this year.

Ableman said to HurricaneSports.com that Dinsmore “should be one of the best in college diving in the 10-meter as a freshman.” Of Herrera, Ableman said, “I’m hungry for him to continue and make another step in his sophomore year.”

The Canes’ season starts on Sept. 18 at the All-Florida Invite in Gainesville, Florida.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...