Sports, Swimming/Diving

Hurricanes divers David Dinsmore, Briadam Herrera win national titles

The future is looking bright for coach Randy Ableman’s diving team this season as two of his underclassman divers, freshman David Dinsmore and sophomore Briadam Herrera, won national titles at the 2015 AT&T National Diving Championships held in Orlando, Florida in August.

Dinsmore, who represented the United States at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia in July, won the men’s 10-meter platform event with 422.15 points. He was in a tight race for the gold with diver Zach Cooper, but Dinsmore came out on top in the final round, winning by 15.85 points.

“It came down to the last dive, and that’s what makes a great contest,” Dinsmore said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was a little tough for me coming back from worlds – you’re on such a high and then you’ve got to get ready for nationals a week later.”

Like Dinsmore, Herrera also had a busy summer: he won bronze in the men’s 1-meter at the 2015 World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea in July. The Cuban native finished the AT&T Championships with 435 points in the 1-meter, outscoring second place finisher Aaron Fleshner by 60.85 points.

“I thought I did really well. My dives felt good, and I thought I was powerful. Everything went right,” Herrera said to HurricaneSports.com.

The young talents are important assets to the team this season, especially after the departure of national champion and 2014-15 male student-athlete of the year, Sam Dorman. Coach Ableman expects to see great things from Dinsmore and Herrera this year.

Ableman said to HurricaneSports.com that Dinsmore “should be one of the best in college diving in the 10-meter as a freshman.” Of Herrera, Ableman said, “I’m hungry for him to continue and make another step in his sophomore year.”

The Canes’ season starts on Sept. 18 at the All-Florida Invite in Gainesville, Florida.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...