Sports, Swimming/Diving

Hurricanes divers David Dinsmore, Briadam Herrera win national titles

The future is looking bright for coach Randy Ableman’s diving team this season as two of his underclassman divers, freshman David Dinsmore and sophomore Briadam Herrera, won national titles at the 2015 AT&T National Diving Championships held in Orlando, Florida in August.

Dinsmore, who represented the United States at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia in July, won the men’s 10-meter platform event with 422.15 points. He was in a tight race for the gold with diver Zach Cooper, but Dinsmore came out on top in the final round, winning by 15.85 points.

“It came down to the last dive, and that’s what makes a great contest,” Dinsmore said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was a little tough for me coming back from worlds – you’re on such a high and then you’ve got to get ready for nationals a week later.”

Like Dinsmore, Herrera also had a busy summer: he won bronze in the men’s 1-meter at the 2015 World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea in July. The Cuban native finished the AT&T Championships with 435 points in the 1-meter, outscoring second place finisher Aaron Fleshner by 60.85 points.

“I thought I did really well. My dives felt good, and I thought I was powerful. Everything went right,” Herrera said to HurricaneSports.com.

The young talents are important assets to the team this season, especially after the departure of national champion and 2014-15 male student-athlete of the year, Sam Dorman. Coach Ableman expects to see great things from Dinsmore and Herrera this year.

Ableman said to HurricaneSports.com that Dinsmore “should be one of the best in college diving in the 10-meter as a freshman.” Of Herrera, Ableman said, “I’m hungry for him to continue and make another step in his sophomore year.”

The Canes’ season starts on Sept. 18 at the All-Florida Invite in Gainesville, Florida.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...