Sports, Swimming/Diving

Hurricanes divers David Dinsmore, Briadam Herrera win national titles

The future is looking bright for coach Randy Ableman’s diving team this season as two of his underclassman divers, freshman David Dinsmore and sophomore Briadam Herrera, won national titles at the 2015 AT&T National Diving Championships held in Orlando, Florida in August.

Dinsmore, who represented the United States at the FINA World Championships in Kazan, Russia in July, won the men’s 10-meter platform event with 422.15 points. He was in a tight race for the gold with diver Zach Cooper, but Dinsmore came out on top in the final round, winning by 15.85 points.

“It came down to the last dive, and that’s what makes a great contest,” Dinsmore said to HurricaneSports.com. “It was a little tough for me coming back from worlds – you’re on such a high and then you’ve got to get ready for nationals a week later.”

Like Dinsmore, Herrera also had a busy summer: he won bronze in the men’s 1-meter at the 2015 World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea in July. The Cuban native finished the AT&T Championships with 435 points in the 1-meter, outscoring second place finisher Aaron Fleshner by 60.85 points.

“I thought I did really well. My dives felt good, and I thought I was powerful. Everything went right,” Herrera said to HurricaneSports.com.

The young talents are important assets to the team this season, especially after the departure of national champion and 2014-15 male student-athlete of the year, Sam Dorman. Coach Ableman expects to see great things from Dinsmore and Herrera this year.

Ableman said to HurricaneSports.com that Dinsmore “should be one of the best in college diving in the 10-meter as a freshman.” Of Herrera, Ableman said, “I’m hungry for him to continue and make another step in his sophomore year.”

The Canes’ season starts on Sept. 18 at the All-Florida Invite in Gainesville, Florida.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Rachel Cox-Rosen

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...