Football, Sports

Al-Quadin Muhammad suspended for season opener against Bethune-Cookman

According to reports, redshirt sophomore Al-Quadin Muhammad is suspended for Miami’s season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound defensive lineman from New Jersey was suspended for the entire 2014 season after punching a student following the team’s spring game last April.

Coach Al Golden said Wednesday that no players were suspended for the game Saturday. “Right now, we expect to have everyone,” he said.

Muhammad will miss the game for violating team rules, although it is not clear what the rush end did to warrant the suspension. He is expected to play in the team’s second game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 11.

The highly touted athlete out of high school powerhouse Don Bosco had a strong preseason camp over the summer and was one of the favorites to start on the defensive line. Sophomore Trent Harris won the starting job, but Muhammad should see plenty of action for the team this year.

Muhammad played in 13 games for the Hurricanes in 2013 as a freshman, recording eight tackles and two sacks.

Mark Singer

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...