Football, Sports

Al-Quadin Muhammad suspended for season opener against Bethune-Cookman

According to reports, redshirt sophomore Al-Quadin Muhammad is suspended for Miami’s season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound defensive lineman from New Jersey was suspended for the entire 2014 season after punching a student following the team’s spring game last April.

Coach Al Golden said Wednesday that no players were suspended for the game Saturday. “Right now, we expect to have everyone,” he said.

Muhammad will miss the game for violating team rules, although it is not clear what the rush end did to warrant the suspension. He is expected to play in the team’s second game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 11.

The highly touted athlete out of high school powerhouse Don Bosco had a strong preseason camp over the summer and was one of the favorites to start on the defensive line. Sophomore Trent Harris won the starting job, but Muhammad should see plenty of action for the team this year.

Muhammad played in 13 games for the Hurricanes in 2013 as a freshman, recording eight tackles and two sacks.

Mark Singer

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...