Football, Sports

Al-Quadin Muhammad suspended for season opener against Bethune-Cookman

According to reports, redshirt sophomore Al-Quadin Muhammad is suspended for Miami’s season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound defensive lineman from New Jersey was suspended for the entire 2014 season after punching a student following the team’s spring game last April.

Coach Al Golden said Wednesday that no players were suspended for the game Saturday. “Right now, we expect to have everyone,” he said.

Muhammad will miss the game for violating team rules, although it is not clear what the rush end did to warrant the suspension. He is expected to play in the team’s second game against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 11.

The highly touted athlete out of high school powerhouse Don Bosco had a strong preseason camp over the summer and was one of the favorites to start on the defensive line. Sophomore Trent Harris won the starting job, but Muhammad should see plenty of action for the team this year.

Muhammad played in 13 games for the Hurricanes in 2013 as a freshman, recording eight tackles and two sacks.

Mark Singer

As vaping becomes more prevalent among the nation’s youth, the University of Miami is working to ste ...

Two Category 5 storms and an unusual number of weak and short-lived storms characterize a season tha ...

Days ahead of Veterans Day, ’Canes across campus worked together to build care packages for deployed ...

Walter Mercado, who died Nov.2, will be buried in his native Puerto Rico on Friday after two days of ...

The new facility will be modeled after the Lennar Foundation Medical Center at the Coral Gables camp ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.