Community, News

USpeak features new professor Chantel Acevedo

Professor Chantel Acevedo speaks about her writing career at the USpeak Flash Fiction and Poetry Performance at Books & Books. Beatriz Chinea // Contributing Photographer

The first event of the 2015-16 USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance Series took place on Monday evening at Books & Books in downtown Coral Gables. The event was hosted by the University of Miami Creative Writing Program and the student-run Mangrove literary journal.

The featured guest of Monday’s open mic reading was new creative writing faculty member and UM alumna Chantel Acevedo. Acevedo has previously taught at Auburn University in Alabama, where she founded the university’s creative writing program. She is currently an Associate Professor of English in the MFA Creative Writing Program and is teaching two undergraduate creative writing workshops this semester. Acevedo has authored four novels, “Love and Ghost Letters,” “Song of the Red Cloak,” “A Falling Star,” and “The Distant Marvels.” She is the recipient of the Latino International Book Award and the Independent Publisher Book Award National Bronze Medal. Her other work has appeared in literary publications such as the American Poetry Review, North American Review and the Chattahoochee Review and has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize for small press publications.

Acevedo started off with an excerpt from her most recent novel, “The Distant Marvels,” which was reviewed earlier this summer by the New York Times and NPR. The vignette Acevedo read featured a woman telling stories of her family to others who were taking shelter with her during a hurricane.

“Since we couldn’t get a huracan in real life,” Acevedo joked, “We’ll get one in here.”

Her writing touched upon Cuban history, class and family heritage, and was laced with a bit of humor.

Acevedo also read four poems from her upcoming chapbook, “En Otro Oz.” The collection’s title, which translates to “Another Oz” in English, refers to the comparison Acevedo makes between Cuba and Dorothy Gale’s journey through Oz.

“It’s the Wizard of Oz, but not L. Frank Baum’s Oz,” Acevedo explained. “I thought about what happens to Dorothy when she goes to Oz, and it’s so pretty, so pretty until that witch shows up, and suddenly it’s a very dark story. So I thought about that, how Cuba also has its layers of beauty – this Technicolor notion of looking at Cuba – and its layers of darkness, and I sort of fused the two.”

In addition to Acevedo, several students shared their poetry, flash fiction and experimental pieces: senior Adrian Alonso read a series of his most esoteric tweets from his Twitter account.

The next USpeak event will be on Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Students are welcome to read their pieces at USpeak events; no prior sign-up is required.

Correction, 12:05 p.m., Sept. 3, 2015: A previous version of this article stated that Acevedo’s upcoming chapbook was called “Un Otra Oz,” which was incorrect. The correct name of the upcoming chapbook is “En Otro Oz.” 

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...