An art lover’s guide to campus

There’s no denying it: UM has one of the most vibrant college arts communities in the nation. With so many groups, it’s tough to keep track of all the incredible performances. Don’t miss out on any shows with this guide to arts and entertainment on campus.

For theater aficionados:

UM’s Theatre Department produces two shows a semester at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. The Ring is the place to go for the classics, but it also features new works from top playwrights. The box office offers discounted student tickets and free tickets with a Cane Card on Tuesdays. The department also puts on two free shows in the Hecht Studio Theatre.

CaneStage Company (formerly Quantum Entertainment) is UM’s student-run company, which mounts two productions a semester. CaneStage specializes in contemporary performances and is well known for its yearly Halloween Rocky Horror Shadow Cast. Tickets are free, but arrive early – Rocky Horror especially is known to fill up fast.

For musical events:

The Frost School of Music hosts a concert or recital nearly every day of the year, many of which are open to the public. The highlight of the year, however, is Festival Miami, a concert series that runs through the month of November and frequently attracts big names.

On Thursdays from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m., Hurricane Productions puts on Patio Jams, a free concert featuring local musicians on the UC Rock. UM also has four a capella groups that frequently put on free performances. They include the co-ed BIscaydence, all-male Above the Keys, Hindi-fusion Tufaan, and Jewish 18th

Hurricane Productions brings concerts to campus during Homecoming and spring semester finals. Tickets are free for students and are handed out at the UC ticket booth a few weeks prior. Smaller performances and open mic nights are held at the Rat, as well as other venues, which usually feature a local headliner and then open the stage to any brave performers.

For artwork, movies and comedy shows:

Sapan Parikh and Bianca Seenandan discuss paintings during LoweDown at the Lowe Art Museum. The LoweDown occurs the first Thursday of every month during the academic year and gives students the chance to explore the Lowe's unique collections while enjoying Happy Hour refreshments. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Sapan Parikh and Bianca Seenandan discuss paintings during LoweDown at the Lowe Art Museum. The LoweDown occurs the first Thursday of every month during the academic year and gives students the chance to explore the Lowe’s unique collections while enjoying Happy Hour refreshments. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

For a classy excursion, visual art fans should visit the Lowe Art Museum, where admission is free for students. The museum features a variety of works from all over the world and all throughout history. The monthly LoweDown Happy Hour is an evening event that celebrates a specific art theme and features light snacks and refreshments. The College of Arts and Sciences Gallery in the Wesley Foundation Building also houses exhibitions and events.

The Cosford Cinema is an eclectic mix of arthouse and big-budget movie theater, which features showings of recent blockbusters sponsored by the Cinematic Arts Commission, as well as indie and foreign films – all free to students. Be sure to catch the series of Oscar-nominated films this winter, and the student film festival in the spring.

If you’re looking for a good laugh, UM’s improv team UProv always puts on hilarious shows at performances around campus. Additionally, the Rat plays host to touring stand-up comedians a few times a year.

Madelyn Paquette

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...