An art lover’s guide to campus

There’s no denying it: UM has one of the most vibrant college arts communities in the nation. With so many groups, it’s tough to keep track of all the incredible performances. Don’t miss out on any shows with this guide to arts and entertainment on campus.

For theater aficionados:

UM’s Theatre Department produces two shows a semester at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. The Ring is the place to go for the classics, but it also features new works from top playwrights. The box office offers discounted student tickets and free tickets with a Cane Card on Tuesdays. The department also puts on two free shows in the Hecht Studio Theatre.

CaneStage Company (formerly Quantum Entertainment) is UM’s student-run company, which mounts two productions a semester. CaneStage specializes in contemporary performances and is well known for its yearly Halloween Rocky Horror Shadow Cast. Tickets are free, but arrive early – Rocky Horror especially is known to fill up fast.

For musical events:

The Frost School of Music hosts a concert or recital nearly every day of the year, many of which are open to the public. The highlight of the year, however, is Festival Miami, a concert series that runs through the month of November and frequently attracts big names.

On Thursdays from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m., Hurricane Productions puts on Patio Jams, a free concert featuring local musicians on the UC Rock. UM also has four a capella groups that frequently put on free performances. They include the co-ed BIscaydence, all-male Above the Keys, Hindi-fusion Tufaan, and Jewish 18th

Hurricane Productions brings concerts to campus during Homecoming and spring semester finals. Tickets are free for students and are handed out at the UC ticket booth a few weeks prior. Smaller performances and open mic nights are held at the Rat, as well as other venues, which usually feature a local headliner and then open the stage to any brave performers.

For artwork, movies and comedy shows:

Sapan Parikh and Bianca Seenandan discuss paintings during LoweDown at the Lowe Art Museum. The LoweDown occurs the first Thursday of every month during the academic year and gives students the chance to explore the Lowe's unique collections while enjoying Happy Hour refreshments. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Sapan Parikh and Bianca Seenandan discuss paintings during LoweDown at the Lowe Art Museum. The LoweDown occurs the first Thursday of every month during the academic year and gives students the chance to explore the Lowe’s unique collections while enjoying Happy Hour refreshments. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

For a classy excursion, visual art fans should visit the Lowe Art Museum, where admission is free for students. The museum features a variety of works from all over the world and all throughout history. The monthly LoweDown Happy Hour is an evening event that celebrates a specific art theme and features light snacks and refreshments. The College of Arts and Sciences Gallery in the Wesley Foundation Building also houses exhibitions and events.

The Cosford Cinema is an eclectic mix of arthouse and big-budget movie theater, which features showings of recent blockbusters sponsored by the Cinematic Arts Commission, as well as indie and foreign films – all free to students. Be sure to catch the series of Oscar-nominated films this winter, and the student film festival in the spring.

If you’re looking for a good laugh, UM’s improv team UProv always puts on hilarious shows at performances around campus. Additionally, the Rat plays host to touring stand-up comedians a few times a year.

Madelyn Paquette

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...