Campus Life, LGBTQ, News

UPDATED: University of Miami launches website with LGBT resources

UPDATE, 2:25 p.m., Sept. 3, 2015: This story originally stated that the university’s LGBT website was launched following a letter to President Julio Frenk from an alumnus. The website was in fact launched this summer, prior to the letter and the Miami Hurricane’s story. This post will be updated with the correct launch date of the website as soon as possible. 

Five days after The Miami Hurricane published a story about a University of Miami alumnus’s letter outlining complaints over the school’s LGBT resources and policies to the school’s President Julio Frenk, the school has launched a new area of its website for LGBT resources and information.

According to a press release in the University’s e-veritas newsletter from Aug. 27, the website features “information on programs, events, and campus resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ) students.” The site includes a link to the IBIS (I Believe In Solidarity) Ally Network, a “group of UM faculty, staff, and students who completed an intensive training session on ways to help LGBTQ students thrive on campus.” The website is the first of its kind at the school.

In addition to the ally network, the website contains sections for the school’s LGBT student organizations, a list of LGBT programs and events, LGBT campus resources and a LGBT campus news section that has links to two LGBT-related stories from the university and one from The Miami Hurricane.

The alumnus, Ryan Aquilina, who wrote the letter to which President Frenk responded last week said the website was a “good thing to finally have,” but the school still has much to do.  He added that the website still does not offer any professional LGBT resources.

“A website in and of itself is not progress,” he said. “But it will help the community hold UM accountable to real progress… It’s something everyone can access to see if real progress has been made or not. ”

UPride President Jeremy Penn believes the websites launch is a positive step, although more progress is still needed.

“While there’s definitely room for improvement with regards to both the LGBTQ+ resources on campus and their visibility via this new site, it’s definitely a good first step in the right direction.”
Featured image courtesy UMiami Student Life

William Riggin

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...