Football, Sports

Injuries slow down Duke Johnson’s pro career at Cleveland Browns

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his streatches before the game. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his stretches before the game. File Photo // The Miami Hurricane

Duke Johnson is having a rough start to his professional career.

The Cleveland Browns selected Miami’s all-time leading rusher in the third round of the NFL draft last May. The former Cane suffered a concussion in the Browns’ preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday.

Cornerback Mike Jenkins blasted Johnson while he was in the air trying to catch a pass in the second quarter. Johnson has been ruled out for Cleveland’s final preseason game against the Chicago Bears on Thursday. Browns coach Mike Pettine hasn’t said how long Johnson will be out for the team.

The concussion on Saturday is just the latest setback for Johnson. The Miami Norland Senior High School graduate missed the previous three weeks of training camp with a strained hamstring. If Johnson can stay healthy, the Browns would like him to be their starting running back.

Staying on the field wasn’t a problem for Johnson in college. The 5-foot-9, 207-pound running back played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes last season and in all 12 games as a freshman. A fractured ankle against Florida State memorably ended Johnson’s sophomore season after eight games, but he recovered to rush for 1,652 yards on 242 carries as a junior.

Johnson is the Hurricanes’ all-time leading rusher with 3,519 yards on the ground.

Mark Singer

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...