Football, Sports

Injuries slow down Duke Johnson’s pro career at Cleveland Browns

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his streatches before the game. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his stretches before the game. File Photo // The Miami Hurricane

Duke Johnson is having a rough start to his professional career.

The Cleveland Browns selected Miami’s all-time leading rusher in the third round of the NFL draft last May. The former Cane suffered a concussion in the Browns’ preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday.

Cornerback Mike Jenkins blasted Johnson while he was in the air trying to catch a pass in the second quarter. Johnson has been ruled out for Cleveland’s final preseason game against the Chicago Bears on Thursday. Browns coach Mike Pettine hasn’t said how long Johnson will be out for the team.

The concussion on Saturday is just the latest setback for Johnson. The Miami Norland Senior High School graduate missed the previous three weeks of training camp with a strained hamstring. If Johnson can stay healthy, the Browns would like him to be their starting running back.

Staying on the field wasn’t a problem for Johnson in college. The 5-foot-9, 207-pound running back played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes last season and in all 12 games as a freshman. A fractured ankle against Florida State memorably ended Johnson’s sophomore season after eight games, but he recovered to rush for 1,652 yards on 242 carries as a junior.

Johnson is the Hurricanes’ all-time leading rusher with 3,519 yards on the ground.

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...