Football, Sports

Injuries slow down Duke Johnson’s pro career at Cleveland Browns

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his streatches before the game. Cayla Nimmo // Photo Editor

Duke Johnson smiles at an assistant coach during his stretches before the game. File Photo // The Miami Hurricane

Duke Johnson is having a rough start to his professional career.

The Cleveland Browns selected Miami’s all-time leading rusher in the third round of the NFL draft last May. The former Cane suffered a concussion in the Browns’ preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday.

Cornerback Mike Jenkins blasted Johnson while he was in the air trying to catch a pass in the second quarter. Johnson has been ruled out for Cleveland’s final preseason game against the Chicago Bears on Thursday. Browns coach Mike Pettine hasn’t said how long Johnson will be out for the team.

The concussion on Saturday is just the latest setback for Johnson. The Miami Norland Senior High School graduate missed the previous three weeks of training camp with a strained hamstring. If Johnson can stay healthy, the Browns would like him to be their starting running back.

Staying on the field wasn’t a problem for Johnson in college. The 5-foot-9, 207-pound running back played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes last season and in all 12 games as a freshman. A fractured ankle against Florida State memorably ended Johnson’s sophomore season after eight games, but he recovered to rush for 1,652 yards on 242 carries as a junior.

Johnson is the Hurricanes’ all-time leading rusher with 3,519 yards on the ground.

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...