Football, Sports

Junior running back Gus Edwards out for the season

Junior running back Gus Edwards is out for the season with a left foot injury, Miami announced late Sunday night with the release of the week one depth chart.

“Gus worked extremely hard for the last nine months to prepare for this moment,” head coach Al Golden said in a statement. “He set a high standard and did a great job leading and being unselfish. We are tremendously disappointed for him, but we will be there with him on the road to recovery and anxiously await his return.”
Edwards suffered the injury during preseason camp. The third-year missed two practices last week after the team’s final scrimmage of the camp. The team initially believed Edwards had a bruise on the top of his foot that would heal after some treatment, but unfortunately, that is not the case for 6-foot-2, 241-pound native of Staten Island.

Edwards was Miami’s third leading rusher last season with 349 yards on the ground, averaging 5.7 yards a carry.

Miami did not list a starting running back for the week one game against Bethune-Cookman. Sophomore Joseph Yearby and freshman Mark Walton are potential starters, with sophomore Trayone Gray behind them.

Mark Singer

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami became just the second Hurricanes playe ...

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team dropped the opening set befo ...

Miami track and field punched three more tickets to the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships on the final ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...