Football, Sports

Junior running back Gus Edwards out for the season

Junior running back Gus Edwards is out for the season with a left foot injury, Miami announced late Sunday night with the release of the week one depth chart.

“Gus worked extremely hard for the last nine months to prepare for this moment,” head coach Al Golden said in a statement. “He set a high standard and did a great job leading and being unselfish. We are tremendously disappointed for him, but we will be there with him on the road to recovery and anxiously await his return.”
Edwards suffered the injury during preseason camp. The third-year missed two practices last week after the team’s final scrimmage of the camp. The team initially believed Edwards had a bruise on the top of his foot that would heal after some treatment, but unfortunately, that is not the case for 6-foot-2, 241-pound native of Staten Island.

Edwards was Miami’s third leading rusher last season with 349 yards on the ground, averaging 5.7 yards a carry.

Miami did not list a starting running back for the week one game against Bethune-Cookman. Sophomore Joseph Yearby and freshman Mark Walton are potential starters, with sophomore Trayone Gray behind them.

Mark Singer

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...