Football, Sports

Junior running back Gus Edwards out for the season

Junior running back Gus Edwards is out for the season with a left foot injury, Miami announced late Sunday night with the release of the week one depth chart.

“Gus worked extremely hard for the last nine months to prepare for this moment,” head coach Al Golden said in a statement. “He set a high standard and did a great job leading and being unselfish. We are tremendously disappointed for him, but we will be there with him on the road to recovery and anxiously await his return.”
Edwards suffered the injury during preseason camp. The third-year missed two practices last week after the team’s final scrimmage of the camp. The team initially believed Edwards had a bruise on the top of his foot that would heal after some treatment, but unfortunately, that is not the case for 6-foot-2, 241-pound native of Staten Island.

Edwards was Miami’s third leading rusher last season with 349 yards on the ground, averaging 5.7 yards a carry.

Miami did not list a starting running back for the week one game against Bethune-Cookman. Sophomore Joseph Yearby and freshman Mark Walton are potential starters, with sophomore Trayone Gray behind them.

Mark Singer

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...