Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball sweeps Hurricane Invitational

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

The Canes finished off the Hurricane Invitational in dramatic fashion Saturday night, beating Kansas State 15-10 in the fifth set to sweep the three-match kickoff event for the volleyball team at the Knight Sports Complex.

Sophomores Olga Strantzali and Sakile Simmons united for a monstrous block to finish the match and solidify the Hurricanes’ undefeated status at the invitational after beating Illinois State and Florida A&M three sets to none on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

“Everything was flowing. There was a great environment and I think everything finally connected tonight,” said Kelsie Groot, a redshirt junior who finished the Kansas State match with 19 kills and had a team-high 24 for the weekend.

Not only did Groot lead the team in kills, she was also third on the team for digs, first for attacks and third for hit percentage in the win over the Wildcats.

“Kelsie’s solid. That’s the Kelsie we see every day in practice,” Coach Jose Gandara said of the outside hitter.

Also leading the team in kills for the tournament was Strantzali with 23, and senior middle hitter Alexis Mourning with 18.

Mourning was out last season with a lower leg injury, but is now fully healthy for her senior season.

“I’m so excited to play with my team again and be in front of the crowd,” Mourning said. “It’s just fun playing hard with these girls again.”

Strantzali, a left-handed hitter with a killer serve, transferred from UCLA for her sophomore season. The Greek native is already making an impression on her teammates; setter Haley Templeton described Strantzali as her “go-to” so far this season.

On the team’s success in producing kills, Gandara said, “That’s a testament to Haley’s job. I think she’s one player you have to watch.”

Templeton, sophomore team captain, ended the invitational with 75 assists.

“It felt great. Getting three wins right off the bat really takes off the pressure for all the new girls coming in,” said Templeton, the 2014 ACC Freshman of the Year and All-ACC Second Team member.

The Hurricanes (3-0) will have their work cut out for them this season, playing strong teams such as Florida State, Duke, Louisiana State University and Purdue. When asked what the team will focus on this season, Gandara said, “Always our ability to continue to improve and just staying mindful in the process and continuing to get better day to day.”

The Canes will be back at it in Springfield, Missouri for the Missouri State Tournament on Sept. 4.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...