Sports, Volleyball

Canes volleyball sweeps Hurricane Invitational

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

The Canes finished off the Hurricane Invitational in dramatic fashion Saturday night, beating Kansas State 15-10 in the fifth set to sweep the three-match kickoff event for the volleyball team at the Knight Sports Complex.

Sophomores Olga Strantzali and Sakile Simmons united for a monstrous block to finish the match and solidify the Hurricanes’ undefeated status at the invitational after beating Illinois State and Florida A&M three sets to none on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

“Everything was flowing. There was a great environment and I think everything finally connected tonight,” said Kelsie Groot, a redshirt junior who finished the Kansas State match with 19 kills and had a team-high 24 for the weekend.

Not only did Groot lead the team in kills, she was also third on the team for digs, first for attacks and third for hit percentage in the win over the Wildcats.

“Kelsie’s solid. That’s the Kelsie we see every day in practice,” Coach Jose Gandara said of the outside hitter.

Also leading the team in kills for the tournament was Strantzali with 23, and senior middle hitter Alexis Mourning with 18.

Mourning was out last season with a lower leg injury, but is now fully healthy for her senior season.

“I’m so excited to play with my team again and be in front of the crowd,” Mourning said. “It’s just fun playing hard with these girls again.”

Strantzali, a left-handed hitter with a killer serve, transferred from UCLA for her sophomore season. The Greek native is already making an impression on her teammates; setter Haley Templeton described Strantzali as her “go-to” so far this season.

On the team’s success in producing kills, Gandara said, “That’s a testament to Haley’s job. I think she’s one player you have to watch.”

Templeton, sophomore team captain, ended the invitational with 75 assists.

“It felt great. Getting three wins right off the bat really takes off the pressure for all the new girls coming in,” said Templeton, the 2014 ACC Freshman of the Year and All-ACC Second Team member.

The Hurricanes (3-0) will have their work cut out for them this season, playing strong teams such as Florida State, Duke, Louisiana State University and Purdue. When asked what the team will focus on this season, Gandara said, “Always our ability to continue to improve and just staying mindful in the process and continuing to get better day to day.”

The Canes will be back at it in Springfield, Missouri for the Missouri State Tournament on Sept. 4.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...