Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Campus prepares for tropical storm Erika

Tropical Erika's projected track as of 8pm Friday. Graphic Courtesy NOAA/NWS

Tropical Erika’s track as of 8pm Friday. Graphic Courtesy NOAA/NWS

UPDATE, Aug. 29 1:32 p.m.: The university has announced that, with the storm’s dissipation, they do not expect any closures or disruptions Sunday or Monday.

Normal operations will continue as planned Saturday at the University of Miami, with preparations for tropical storm Erika’s expected landfall on Sunday underway. The decision on potential changes to the school’s operations on Sunday and Monday will be made Saturday afternoon, after 3 p.m., by the school’s administrative leadership, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely. Whitely provided further information regarding the school’s current preparation for the storm.

If there is severe weather on Sunday, the school would ask students and faculty not to come to the campus. The school’s custodial staff, which is contracted from GCA Educational Services, has already begun working with department leaders to move outdoor furniture inside campus buildings, as well as placing down sandbags to quell potential flooding problems.

Whitely added that the school would be providing additional shuttles to Sunset Place and Publix Saturday afternoon so that students can purchase any additional supplies before the storm’s potential arrival. She also said that Housing and Residential Life will conduct floor meetings in campus residential halls at 4 p.m. Saturday. Late night dining has already been cancelled for Sunday night, but will continue on its normal schedule Friday and Saturday.

Whitely urged students and faculty to monitor their email accounts for updates. The school’s emergency information hotline, 1-800-227-0354, will continue to be updated with recorded messages.

William Riggin

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience