Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

Campus prepares for tropical storm Erika

Tropical Erika's projected track as of 8pm Friday. Graphic Courtesy NOAA/NWS

Tropical Erika’s track as of 8pm Friday. Graphic Courtesy NOAA/NWS

UPDATE, Aug. 29 1:32 p.m.: The university has announced that, with the storm’s dissipation, they do not expect any closures or disruptions Sunday or Monday.

Normal operations will continue as planned Saturday at the University of Miami, with preparations for tropical storm Erika’s expected landfall on Sunday underway. The decision on potential changes to the school’s operations on Sunday and Monday will be made Saturday afternoon, after 3 p.m., by the school’s administrative leadership, according to Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely. Whitely provided further information regarding the school’s current preparation for the storm.

If there is severe weather on Sunday, the school would ask students and faculty not to come to the campus. The school’s custodial staff, which is contracted from GCA Educational Services, has already begun working with department leaders to move outdoor furniture inside campus buildings, as well as placing down sandbags to quell potential flooding problems.

Whitely added that the school would be providing additional shuttles to Sunset Place and Publix Saturday afternoon so that students can purchase any additional supplies before the storm’s potential arrival. She also said that Housing and Residential Life will conduct floor meetings in campus residential halls at 4 p.m. Saturday. Late night dining has already been cancelled for Sunday night, but will continue on its normal schedule Friday and Saturday.

Whitely urged students and faculty to monitor their email accounts for updates. The school’s emergency information hotline, 1-800-227-0354, will continue to be updated with recorded messages.

William Riggin

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Jim Larrañaga oftentimes told Bruce Brown that his path to a successful NBA career was at the point ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Emma Langlois and five members of the men's cross country team return to Tallahassee for the NC ...