Dorman, Leaf and Wagner named 2014-15 UM Student-Athletes of the Year

Diving champion Sam Dorman, All-American volleyball player Savanah Leaf and All-American tennis player Stephanie Wagner added another accomplishment to their already lengthy lists Tuesday night at the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Barbeque.

Dorman was named the University of Miami Male Student-Athlete of the Year for 2014-2015 for his record-setting season in the pool. Leaf and Wagner shared the University of Miami Donna E. Shalala Female Student-Athlete of the Year Award for their dominant play on their respective courts.

“Congratulations to Sam, Savanah and Stephanie on being recognized with this very deserving honor,” Miami Athletic Director Blake James said. “They define what it means to achieve excellence athletically and academically, and are wonderful representatives of our University.”

Dorman obliterated the NCAA 3-meter springboard record in his final competition as a Hurricane at the NCAA Swimming & Diving Championships held in Iowa last March. Dorman scored 529.10 points in the event, greater than 30 points better than the previous record. The recent graduate earned 2015 ACC Men’s Diver of the Year honors and became the first Miami diver to win an NCAA Championship since 2011.

Leaf finished off her Miami career on the volleyball team with the ACC Player of the Year award and a First Team All-ACC selection. Leaf started in all 31 matches for the Canes, leading the team with 502 kills, the third best mark in program history. The star outside hitter competed for Great Britain at the 2012 Summer Olympics and is currently playing volleyball professionally in Turkey and Puerto Rico.

Wagner, the lone award-recipient returning to school, became the seventh player in program history to reach the semifinals of the NCAA Singles Championship last season. The senior from Amberg, Germany was named an Intercollegiate Tennis Association All-American and earned a First Team All-ACC selection following her 38-12 overall record in singles play in the 2014-2015 season. Wagner finished the year as the No. 9 ranked player in the country in singles play, and No. 21 nationally in doubles play with teammate Lina Lileikite.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com