Basketball, Sports

Omar Sherman transfers from Miami basketball team

Forward Omar Sherman transferred from the University of Miami, the program announced Sunday night.

The 6-foot-8 native of Duncanville, Texas is the third player from last year’s team to transfer to another school. Guards Manu Lecomte and Deandre Burnett left Miami in May for Baylor and Ole Miss, respectively.

“The Miami basketball program thanks Omar for his contributions to the team last season and we wish him the best of luck in his future,” basketball coach Jim Larrañaga said in a press release.

Sherman played in 36 games as a freshman, starting in 10 of them, and averaged 4.8 points and 2.3 rebounds in 16.5 minutes per game. The backup forward was likely to lose playing time to redshirt junior Kamari Murphy, a 6-foot-9 transfer from Oklahoma State, and to senior forward Ivan Cruz Uceda. Murphy is slated to start at the forward position alongside senior center Tonye Jekiri with Uceda as the first big man off the bench.

When he had his shot falling, Sherman provided a nice outlet on the perimeter for Miami’s slashing guards. However, Sherman struggled to keep up defensively against quicker players and failed to bring down rebounds consistently.

No reason was given for Sherman’s decision to transfer.

Feature photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...