Four fraternities under investigation, issued cease operation orders

Four fraternities at the University of Miami- Sigma Chi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Zeta Beta Tau and Alpha Sigma Phi- were issued cease operations orders on Friday due to investigations into alleged violations of school policy, according to a statement from Associate Dean of Students and Director of Greek Life Steve Priepke on Friday. Sigma Chi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau were being investigated for allegedly hosting unauthorized social events, while Alpha Sigma Phi was being investigated for allegedly housing non-members in their fraternity house.

UPDATE Aug. 24, 4:37 p.m.: The investigation into Alpha Sigma Phi for allegedly housing non-members in their fraternity house was resolved through the full cooperation of the fraternity, and the cease operations order for the fraternity has been lifted, according to a statement from Priepke on Monday afternoon.

Sigma Chi, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau are still being investigated for allegedly hosting unauthorized events, although none have been charged with violating any policies. The cease operations orders for these fraternities mean that all chapter-related functions must cease, including meetings,  recruitment events and social events, including but not limited to mixers, tailgates, educational programs, formals and community service.

UPDATED Aug. 24, 4:05 p.m.: According to Associate Dean of Students and Director of Greek Life  Priepke, the investigation into the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity for housing non-members in their fraternity has been resolved.

UPDATED Aug. 24, 10:12 a.m.: All four fraternities under investigation are a part of the Interfraternity Council (IFC). IFC President Matthew Getzoff urged those under investigation to cooperate with the investigation in a statement to The Hurricane on Monday morning.

“The four fraternities have been directed to cease operations while an investigation is being conducted by the Dean of Students Office.  The Interfraternity Council encourages everyone to cooperate fully with the investigations.  Should any of the investigations result in any fraternity being charged with violating any policy, the IFC Judicial Board may or may not have a role in the adjudication process depending upon the severity of the charges.  Any individual or organization who violates any policy will be held accountable.  As the investigations are in progress, we have no further comment at this time.”

UPDATED Aug. 24, 9:05 a.m.: Associate Executive Director of Communications for the national Sigma Alpha Epsilon organization, Brandon E. Weghorst, provided the following statement Monday morning regarding the investigation into the Florida Alpha Chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon at UM.

“Sigma Alpha Epsilon is committed to the safety and well-being of our members and others in their campus community. We maintain stringent policies and guidelines for brothers, and we have zero tolerance for any behaviors that deviate from our creed and values. The Fraternity also is committed to working with university administrators so that we can ensure the chapter meets our high standards. We view our relationship with the University of Miami as an important partnership.”

UPDATE: The cease operation orders were issued Friday, Aug. 21, according to Margot Winick, assistant vice president of UM Media Relations and Multimedia.

Associate Dean of Students and Director of Greek Life Steve Priepke has confirmed to The Hurricane that four fraternity chapters at the University of Miami are being investigated for violations. Priepke relayed the following statement Sunday afternoon.

“We can confirm four fraternities were issued cease operation orders by the Dean of Students Office. Three fraternities issued a cease operations order allegedly hosted unauthorized social events – Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi and Zeta Beta Tau.  One fraternity was issued a cease operations order for allegedly housing non-members in their fraternity house – Alpha Sigma Phi.  Investigations are under way for all groups and no fraternity has yet been charged with violating any policies.”

The Hurricane is reaching out to the fraternities named in the statement for comment. This story will be updated as more information is obtained.