Opinion, Staff Editorial

Frenk must focus on boosting spirit

While past President Donna E. Shalala initiated a massive physical transformation of the campus to make the University of Miami a better place for 21st century learning, President Julio Frenk must continue that legacy by invigorating the school’s social and academic spheres.

One of the largest challenges President Frenk will face at UM is the lack of holistic student engagement in extracurriculars and school spirit. Whether it is low attendance at basketball games or a lack of engagement with Student Government, our student body seems disjointed and unengaged as a whole, despite the enthusiasm that may have been displayed at Canefest this Saturday.

Many student organizations find it difficult to attract a wide variety of students to their events. Instead, clubs find themselves limited to small niches. While the university boasts over 270 student organizations, there is a lack of unity and awareness among different clubs and societies. Achieving a culture of synergistic cooperation and increased student engagement among student organizations is a goal that President Frenk should keep in mind while working with student leaders.

The same kind of transformation must also be applied to taking pride in Hurricane sports and academics. While Hurricane athletics desperately tries to attract students with freebies, food and hype, the stands remain disappointingly empty. Though the Miller School of Medicine and UHealth are the pride of South Florida, improving other departments on the undergraduate campus are necessary for a well-rounded academic institution that students and faculty are proud to be a part of. If President Frenk can somehow get students riled up in the stands as well as in the classroom during his tenure here, he will have accomplished a significant feat.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...