Football, Sports

13 Miami football players on NFL teams

In the upcoming months we will see a Miami Hurricanes football team that has a lot of new faces on the football field. While our eyes will be glued to the field to see how this year’s team does, there are still other arenas where more Canes will be battling it out on the gridiron. In this past NFL offseason, 13 Hurricanes football players found new homes on professional teams, and will begin their pro careers this coming fall.

Last year’s team was loaded with pro-ready talent, and it certainly showed based on the following draft results:

Offensive Tackle, Ereck Flowers- New York Giants, 1st round, 9th overall

Wide Receiver, Phillip Dorsett- Indianapolis Colts, 1st round, 29th overall

Linebacker, Denzel Perryman- San Diego Chargers, 2nd round,

Tight End, Clive Walford- Oakland Raiders, 2nd round

Running Back, Duke Johnson- Cleveland Browns 3rd round

Offensive Guard, Jonathan Feliciano- Oakland Raiders 4th round, 128th overall

Defensive Lineman, Anthony Chickillo- Pittsburgh Steelers, 6th round, 212th overall

Ereck Flowers is going to see a lot of time on the field as he was selected to start right away at a position of need for the New York Giants.

Phillip Dorsett should have a big role in the Colts’ high-voltage offense and looks to be involved in plenty of highlights in the coming season.

Denzel Perryman is also slated to start and have a huge impact in a Chargers’ defense that could use the help. Clive Walford will be bringing an element to the Raiders that has not been seen there for a long time — a reliable starting tight end with big play potential.

The final opening day impact player and potential starter is none other than Duke Johnson for the Cleveland Browns. The Browns plan to use Johnson, Miami’s all-time leading rusher, as the starting running back, as long as he stays healthy. Johnson has battled a hamstring injury in the preseason, but he should be ready to bring his big-play potential opening day.

The draft did not end the flow of Hurricanes going into the NFL however. The following players all signed with teams after the draft, and have made their way into making rosters.

Center, Shane McDermott- Dallas Cowboys, Undrafted

Quarterback, Ryan Williams- Cincinnati Bengals- Undrafted

Linebacker, Thurston Armbrister- Jacksonville Jaguars, Undrafted

Defensive Tackle, Olsen Pierre- Chicago Bears, Undrafted

Quarterback, Jake Heaps- New York Jets, Undrafted

Cornerback, Ladarius Gunter- Green Bay Packers, Undrafted

There will be plenty of opportunities to watch Canes play on Sunday as well as Saturday.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports.com

Edward Baffa

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...