News, Obituaries

Former UM first lady Roberta “Bosey” Foote passes away

bosey_foote_large

Roberta “Bosey” Foote, the wife of former University of Miami President Edward “Tad” Foote II, died on Tuesday of complications from cancer at the age of 76.

Foote came to the University of Miami with her husband in 1981 and served twenty years as the University’s first lady before they left 2001.

She was known for her efforts to beautify the university’s Coral Gables campus, and was an enthusiastic supporter of the Gifford Arboretum.

“Bosey Foote was a devoted partner and parent and a pillar of the University of Miami community,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala, according to a press release from the school. “She was always at Tad’s side in helping to raise this university to new heights, and she served this institution with strength and grace and was the driving force behind turning our Coral Gables campus into the beautiful botanical garden that it is today.”

Her father was the late U.S. Senator William J. Fulbright, who created the Fulbright scholarship program for international exchange scholars.

Foote is survived by her husband; three children, Julia, William and Thaddeus; and eight grandchildren.

May 7, 2015

William Riggin

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...