Blogs, UBuzz

Canes Hoops guard Angel Rodriguez’s Twitter and Facebook pages are fake

If you are trying to find University of Miami Canes Hoops point guard Angel Rodriguez on his days off, you can find him at the beach. Where you can’t find him? Twitter and Facebook.

That’s right, gals and guys. It’s time for rumor control here at UBuzz.

In an interview with Rodriguez for another story, I asked him about a hilarious tweet of his: 

“Do you like to sing?” I asked.  His response came as quite a surprise

First of all, I don’t know who’s running that Twitter,” he said. “But I like to sing, so it was pretty random, but I guess it’s true. I don’t want to be the next Usher, but I do like to sing.”

Reporter Elena Tayem with Canes point guard Angel Rodriguez

My response should have been “Sing to me, Angel!” but I was still too caught up in the fact that someone has been posing as UM’s down-to-earth and honest point guard.

“I’ve looked at it, and everything on Twitter is all about me, me, me and the team, team, team,” Rodriguez said. “They don’t act the same way I act. First of all, I don’t like to post everything how I feel and stuff like that. That’s why I don’t have Twitter.”

I seemed to be more affected by this poser than Angel, though.

“I don’t really mind,” Rodriguez said. “It doesn’t change my life.”

I responded: “You have your Facebook page, though. That’s actually you?”

“No that’s not me either,” he answered.

“You’re fan page isn’t you?” I asked in disbelief.

“No,” he said.

“No way,” I said, still shocked.

“I’m serious,” Rodriguez said laughing.

Why was I so stunned? A month ago, The Miami Hurricane ran a story about how clever Rodriguez is on social media.

Rodriguez confirmed via Twitter that he runs the Facebook page himself, but better yet, he has used artistic license to self-verify the page with a fake blue check mark.”

The editor even spoke to the poser through the Facebook page, of course thinking it was Angel himself.

“Rodriguez told The Miami Hurricane that his friend who is studying business marketing is actually the one who edited the picture. He has used Photoshop to add the fake blue check mark to the pages of a few other athletes as well, according to Rodriguez.”

“My friend edited that pic for me since it’s almost impossible to get verified,” Rodriguez said in a Facebook message.

The real Angel did say he knows who runs the Facebook page.

“I know the guy that has it because he went to high school with me,” Rodriguez said. “But I don’t control any of that. I don’t know why he has it.”

So strange. So very, very, very strange.

But Angel thinks it’s pretty funny. He said the Twitter and Facebook pages never post anything negative, so that’s why he doesn’t mind.

The only social media account Rodriguez uses is Instagram.

“So everything you see on Instagram is me. That’s it,” he said.

While laughing, I told him that I would unfollow his fake accounts. But actually…I am…right now.

Elena Tayem

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...