Blogs, UBuzz

Canes Hoops guard Angel Rodriguez’s Twitter and Facebook pages are fake

If you are trying to find University of Miami Canes Hoops point guard Angel Rodriguez on his days off, you can find him at the beach. Where you can’t find him? Twitter and Facebook.

That’s right, gals and guys. It’s time for rumor control here at UBuzz.

In an interview with Rodriguez for another story, I asked him about a hilarious tweet of his: 

“Do you like to sing?” I asked.  His response came as quite a surprise

First of all, I don’t know who’s running that Twitter,” he said. “But I like to sing, so it was pretty random, but I guess it’s true. I don’t want to be the next Usher, but I do like to sing.”

Reporter Elena Tayem with Canes point guard Angel Rodriguez

My response should have been “Sing to me, Angel!” but I was still too caught up in the fact that someone has been posing as UM’s down-to-earth and honest point guard.

“I’ve looked at it, and everything on Twitter is all about me, me, me and the team, team, team,” Rodriguez said. “They don’t act the same way I act. First of all, I don’t like to post everything how I feel and stuff like that. That’s why I don’t have Twitter.”

I seemed to be more affected by this poser than Angel, though.

“I don’t really mind,” Rodriguez said. “It doesn’t change my life.”

I responded: “You have your Facebook page, though. That’s actually you?”

“No that’s not me either,” he answered.

“You’re fan page isn’t you?” I asked in disbelief.

“No,” he said.

“No way,” I said, still shocked.

“I’m serious,” Rodriguez said laughing.

Why was I so stunned? A month ago, The Miami Hurricane ran a story about how clever Rodriguez is on social media.

Rodriguez confirmed via Twitter that he runs the Facebook page himself, but better yet, he has used artistic license to self-verify the page with a fake blue check mark.”

The editor even spoke to the poser through the Facebook page, of course thinking it was Angel himself.

“Rodriguez told The Miami Hurricane that his friend who is studying business marketing is actually the one who edited the picture. He has used Photoshop to add the fake blue check mark to the pages of a few other athletes as well, according to Rodriguez.”

“My friend edited that pic for me since it’s almost impossible to get verified,” Rodriguez said in a Facebook message.

The real Angel did say he knows who runs the Facebook page.

“I know the guy that has it because he went to high school with me,” Rodriguez said. “But I don’t control any of that. I don’t know why he has it.”

So strange. So very, very, very strange.

But Angel thinks it’s pretty funny. He said the Twitter and Facebook pages never post anything negative, so that’s why he doesn’t mind.

The only social media account Rodriguez uses is Instagram.

“So everything you see on Instagram is me. That’s it,” he said.

While laughing, I told him that I would unfollow his fake accounts. But actually…I am…right now.

Elena Tayem

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

With 102 events already on their calendar, new initiatives are also on the horizon for the Universit ...

Economic expert Paulo Leme analyzes last week’s economic downturn. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...