Blogs, UBuzz

Canes Hoops guard Angel Rodriguez’s Twitter and Facebook pages are fake

If you are trying to find University of Miami Canes Hoops point guard Angel Rodriguez on his days off, you can find him at the beach. Where you can’t find him? Twitter and Facebook.

That’s right, gals and guys. It’s time for rumor control here at UBuzz.

In an interview with Rodriguez for another story, I asked him about a hilarious tweet of his: 

“Do you like to sing?” I asked.  His response came as quite a surprise

First of all, I don’t know who’s running that Twitter,” he said. “But I like to sing, so it was pretty random, but I guess it’s true. I don’t want to be the next Usher, but I do like to sing.”

Reporter Elena Tayem with Canes point guard Angel Rodriguez

My response should have been “Sing to me, Angel!” but I was still too caught up in the fact that someone has been posing as UM’s down-to-earth and honest point guard.

“I’ve looked at it, and everything on Twitter is all about me, me, me and the team, team, team,” Rodriguez said. “They don’t act the same way I act. First of all, I don’t like to post everything how I feel and stuff like that. That’s why I don’t have Twitter.”

I seemed to be more affected by this poser than Angel, though.

“I don’t really mind,” Rodriguez said. “It doesn’t change my life.”

I responded: “You have your Facebook page, though. That’s actually you?”

“No that’s not me either,” he answered.

“You’re fan page isn’t you?” I asked in disbelief.

“No,” he said.

“No way,” I said, still shocked.

“I’m serious,” Rodriguez said laughing.

Why was I so stunned? A month ago, The Miami Hurricane ran a story about how clever Rodriguez is on social media.

Rodriguez confirmed via Twitter that he runs the Facebook page himself, but better yet, he has used artistic license to self-verify the page with a fake blue check mark.”

The editor even spoke to the poser through the Facebook page, of course thinking it was Angel himself.

“Rodriguez told The Miami Hurricane that his friend who is studying business marketing is actually the one who edited the picture. He has used Photoshop to add the fake blue check mark to the pages of a few other athletes as well, according to Rodriguez.”

“My friend edited that pic for me since it’s almost impossible to get verified,” Rodriguez said in a Facebook message.

The real Angel did say he knows who runs the Facebook page.

“I know the guy that has it because he went to high school with me,” Rodriguez said. “But I don’t control any of that. I don’t know why he has it.”

So strange. So very, very, very strange.

But Angel thinks it’s pretty funny. He said the Twitter and Facebook pages never post anything negative, so that’s why he doesn’t mind.

The only social media account Rodriguez uses is Instagram.

“So everything you see on Instagram is me. That’s it,” he said.

While laughing, I told him that I would unfollow his fake accounts. But actually…I am…right now.

Elena Tayem

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...