Blogs, Miami Globe Trotter

Anthropology professor Caleb Everett named Carnegie Fellow, teaches at sea

Caleb Everett. Photo by Jamie Servidio // Contributing Photographer

Anthropology professor and Carnegie Fellow Caleb Everett on board the MV Explorer

One of the most unique aspects of Semester at Sea is the fact that I eat lunch with, live down the hall from, and make small talk with the program’s faculty and staff.

Coincidentally, I live two doors down from University of Miami professor of anthropology and recent Carnegie Fellow, Caleb Everett.

As one of 32 announced Carnegie Fellows, Everett will receive up to $200,000 for research and writing on proposed topics. He is among established and emerging scholars, journalists and authors who were chosen from over 700 nominees nationwide.

His students even compare his lectures to TED talks, and he spent a portion of his life living in the Amazon.

Pretty cool, huh?

Everett, 38, is traveling on his third Semester at Sea voyage with his wife, Jamie, and son, Jude. He first traveled at age 15 when his father was a professor on the program and again during his first semester as a college student at age 18. Both initial voyages were sailed on the S.S. Universe, a former naval transport and Semester at Sea’s longest serving ship.

“It certainly left an indelible mark on my life,” Everett said. According to Everett, being immersed in diverse cultures at an early age was a factor in his choice to pursue anthropology.

On this most recent voyage, Everett taught three courses: Introduction to Anthropology (which he also teaches at UM); Languages of the World; and Sex, Gender and Culture.

What he enjoys most about Semester at Sea is the unique synthesis of sailing around the world in a learning environment. He admitted he isn’t a big fan of cruises in general, but Semester at Sea offers a completely unique shipboard experience.

“It’s that combination of being at sea in an educational context while travelling the world,” he said.

With a third voyage under his belt, Everett will move on to his research as a Carnegie Fellow. His research will focus on dying languages of hunter-gatherer communities in places like New Guinea, the Amazon and Australia.

It’s what he calls a “popular level” project that will test different hypotheses about how language affects human thought processes. He expressed his hopes to make this a more creative project utilizing photography that will reach a broader audience.

And he just happened to drink a Coca-Cola with me a few short hours ago.

Jamie Servidio

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...