Motivation leads to fond memories, personal growth

Four years, sometimes five, is all you get to make that transition from teenager to semi-functional adult. As my time at the University of Miami comes to an end, the word that best describes how I feel is grateful. I’m grateful for everything I’ve experienced these past four years, the good, bad and unusual, because they’ve provided me a unique college experience and helped shape me into the young adult I am today.
While you’re here, embrace everything, even the obstacles that may oppose you. This is a time to make mistakes with reduced consequences. Don’t be discouraged by them but learn from them and keep pressing forward. Some of the best moments of my undergraduate career have come on the heels of my greatest letdowns. I’ve learned to not sweat the small stuff and that no one is perfect. Give everything your all and be content knowing that you did everything you could.
UM is a school of vast resources, so utilize them. I’m not talking solely about the facilities, though they are top-notch, but also about the people. My UM career wouldn’t be complete without those who took the time out to mentor me. Our professors and administrators have a vast wealth of knowledge to share, but you have to be willing to put yourself out there and go get it. Don’t be afraid to talk to them; they are normal people like you and me, and they are here to help.
My final bit of advice is to find what motivates you and surround yourself with people who will help you grow because “iron sharpens iron.” What motivated and helped me get through is my faith; for you, it may be something else. Whatever it is, find it and never let go of it.
Enjoy this time while you can because it’ll be gone before you know it.
Taylor Duckett is a senior majoring in business law. 

Taylor Duckett

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...