Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball falls to Virginia, ranking drops

The Hurricanes have a long weekend ahead of them with No. 12 Seminoles in town for a three-game series at the Light.

The Canes dropped four spots in the rankings to No. 13 in the country after losing two out of three against the Cavaliers last week in Virginia. Florida State is riding a five-game wining streak into Coral Gables.

The Hurricanes need sophomore Willie Abreu to continue his recent hot streak at the plate in order to take down the rival Seminoles. Abreu led all Miami hitters over the weekend with seven hits in the series against Virginia, including a career-high tying performance with four hits in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Cavaliers.

Just playing at home might be enough to boost the Canes ahead of the Seminoles. Miami is on a nine-game home winning streak and hasn’t lost at Mark Light Field since March 25, while FSU has lost its last four games on the road.

Miami currently sits atop the ACC Coastal division at 30-11 overall and 15-6 in conference play. With an overall record of 31-12 and 14-7 in conference play, FSU is second in the Atlantic division just behind Louisville.

The Seminoles are the eighth and final in-state team on Miami’s regular season schedule this year. The Hurricanes are 8-4 so far against Florida schools.

Miami was slated to play Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night, but the game was postponed due to inclement weather. That matchup will take place at 6 p.m. on May 12 at the Light.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...