Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball falls to Virginia, ranking drops

The Hurricanes have a long weekend ahead of them with No. 12 Seminoles in town for a three-game series at the Light.

The Canes dropped four spots in the rankings to No. 13 in the country after losing two out of three against the Cavaliers last week in Virginia. Florida State is riding a five-game wining streak into Coral Gables.

The Hurricanes need sophomore Willie Abreu to continue his recent hot streak at the plate in order to take down the rival Seminoles. Abreu led all Miami hitters over the weekend with seven hits in the series against Virginia, including a career-high tying performance with four hits in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Cavaliers.

Just playing at home might be enough to boost the Canes ahead of the Seminoles. Miami is on a nine-game home winning streak and hasn’t lost at Mark Light Field since March 25, while FSU has lost its last four games on the road.

Miami currently sits atop the ACC Coastal division at 30-11 overall and 15-6 in conference play. With an overall record of 31-12 and 14-7 in conference play, FSU is second in the Atlantic division just behind Louisville.

The Seminoles are the eighth and final in-state team on Miami’s regular season schedule this year. The Hurricanes are 8-4 so far against Florida schools.

Miami was slated to play Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night, but the game was postponed due to inclement weather. That matchup will take place at 6 p.m. on May 12 at the Light.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...