Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball falls to Virginia, ranking drops

The Hurricanes have a long weekend ahead of them with No. 12 Seminoles in town for a three-game series at the Light.

The Canes dropped four spots in the rankings to No. 13 in the country after losing two out of three against the Cavaliers last week in Virginia. Florida State is riding a five-game wining streak into Coral Gables.

The Hurricanes need sophomore Willie Abreu to continue his recent hot streak at the plate in order to take down the rival Seminoles. Abreu led all Miami hitters over the weekend with seven hits in the series against Virginia, including a career-high tying performance with four hits in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Cavaliers.

Just playing at home might be enough to boost the Canes ahead of the Seminoles. Miami is on a nine-game home winning streak and hasn’t lost at Mark Light Field since March 25, while FSU has lost its last four games on the road.

Miami currently sits atop the ACC Coastal division at 30-11 overall and 15-6 in conference play. With an overall record of 31-12 and 14-7 in conference play, FSU is second in the Atlantic division just behind Louisville.

The Seminoles are the eighth and final in-state team on Miami’s regular season schedule this year. The Hurricanes are 8-4 so far against Florida schools.

Miami was slated to play Florida Atlantic on Wednesday night, but the game was postponed due to inclement weather. That matchup will take place at 6 p.m. on May 12 at the Light.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...