Athletics, Basketball, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/23

Women’s Tennis

Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis had two players recognized by the ACC for postseason awards on Wednesday morning. Sinead Lohan is the first player in program history to be honored as ACC Freshman of the Year and was named Second Team All-ACC. Junior Stephanie Wagner received her third career All-ACC honor and was chosen as a First Team All-ACC member for the second season in a row. Lohan has a 17-2 singles record this year and 14-2 in dual matches. Wagner has consistently been ranked top 10 this season. Miami will begin postseason play Friday at the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina.

Manu Lecomte

Former Miami Hurricane Manu Lecomte has committed Baylor to transfer. He sit out the 2015-16 season as per transfer rules and will still have two years of eligibility starting in the 2016-17 season. With the Canes, Lecomte averaged 7.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists this season.

Track and Field

Miami Hurricanes Director of Track and Field and Cross-Country Amy Deem announced the addition of Anna Sjoukje Runia to the 2014-15 signing class. Runia, a Netherlands native, is the eighth member of the 2014-15 signing class. She was the Dutch National Junior Champion in both the 100m and 100m hurdles, and she competed at the European Junior Championships in 2013 and the World Junior Championships in 2014. Runia will be joining sprinters Carolyn Brown, Brittny Ellis and Erin Ford, as well as hurdler Samantha Gonzalez and throwers Zakiya Rashid and Edie Svonavec in the new signing class. Sprinter Isaiah Taylor is the only men’s signee in the class.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...