Athletics, Basketball, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/23

Women’s Tennis

Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis had two players recognized by the ACC for postseason awards on Wednesday morning. Sinead Lohan is the first player in program history to be honored as ACC Freshman of the Year and was named Second Team All-ACC. Junior Stephanie Wagner received her third career All-ACC honor and was chosen as a First Team All-ACC member for the second season in a row. Lohan has a 17-2 singles record this year and 14-2 in dual matches. Wagner has consistently been ranked top 10 this season. Miami will begin postseason play Friday at the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina.

Manu Lecomte

Former Miami Hurricane Manu Lecomte has committed Baylor to transfer. He sit out the 2015-16 season as per transfer rules and will still have two years of eligibility starting in the 2016-17 season. With the Canes, Lecomte averaged 7.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists this season.

Track and Field

Miami Hurricanes Director of Track and Field and Cross-Country Amy Deem announced the addition of Anna Sjoukje Runia to the 2014-15 signing class. Runia, a Netherlands native, is the eighth member of the 2014-15 signing class. She was the Dutch National Junior Champion in both the 100m and 100m hurdles, and she competed at the European Junior Championships in 2013 and the World Junior Championships in 2014. Runia will be joining sprinters Carolyn Brown, Brittny Ellis and Erin Ford, as well as hurdler Samantha Gonzalez and throwers Zakiya Rashid and Edie Svonavec in the new signing class. Sprinter Isaiah Taylor is the only men’s signee in the class.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...