Athletics, Basketball, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/23

Women’s Tennis

Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis had two players recognized by the ACC for postseason awards on Wednesday morning. Sinead Lohan is the first player in program history to be honored as ACC Freshman of the Year and was named Second Team All-ACC. Junior Stephanie Wagner received her third career All-ACC honor and was chosen as a First Team All-ACC member for the second season in a row. Lohan has a 17-2 singles record this year and 14-2 in dual matches. Wagner has consistently been ranked top 10 this season. Miami will begin postseason play Friday at the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina.

Manu Lecomte

Former Miami Hurricane Manu Lecomte has committed Baylor to transfer. He sit out the 2015-16 season as per transfer rules and will still have two years of eligibility starting in the 2016-17 season. With the Canes, Lecomte averaged 7.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists this season.

Track and Field

Miami Hurricanes Director of Track and Field and Cross-Country Amy Deem announced the addition of Anna Sjoukje Runia to the 2014-15 signing class. Runia, a Netherlands native, is the eighth member of the 2014-15 signing class. She was the Dutch National Junior Champion in both the 100m and 100m hurdles, and she competed at the European Junior Championships in 2013 and the World Junior Championships in 2014. Runia will be joining sprinters Carolyn Brown, Brittny Ellis and Erin Ford, as well as hurdler Samantha Gonzalez and throwers Zakiya Rashid and Edie Svonavec in the new signing class. Sprinter Isaiah Taylor is the only men’s signee in the class.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...