Athletics, Basketball, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/23

Women’s Tennis

Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis had two players recognized by the ACC for postseason awards on Wednesday morning. Sinead Lohan is the first player in program history to be honored as ACC Freshman of the Year and was named Second Team All-ACC. Junior Stephanie Wagner received her third career All-ACC honor and was chosen as a First Team All-ACC member for the second season in a row. Lohan has a 17-2 singles record this year and 14-2 in dual matches. Wagner has consistently been ranked top 10 this season. Miami will begin postseason play Friday at the ACC Tournament in Cary, North Carolina.

Manu Lecomte

Former Miami Hurricane Manu Lecomte has committed Baylor to transfer. He sit out the 2015-16 season as per transfer rules and will still have two years of eligibility starting in the 2016-17 season. With the Canes, Lecomte averaged 7.9 points, 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists this season.

Track and Field

Miami Hurricanes Director of Track and Field and Cross-Country Amy Deem announced the addition of Anna Sjoukje Runia to the 2014-15 signing class. Runia, a Netherlands native, is the eighth member of the 2014-15 signing class. She was the Dutch National Junior Champion in both the 100m and 100m hurdles, and she competed at the European Junior Championships in 2013 and the World Junior Championships in 2014. Runia will be joining sprinters Carolyn Brown, Brittny Ellis and Erin Ford, as well as hurdler Samantha Gonzalez and throwers Zakiya Rashid and Edie Svonavec in the new signing class. Sprinter Isaiah Taylor is the only men’s signee in the class.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...