News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: SG to offer Insomnia Cookies at study break

For the last meeting of Student Government’s (SG) Senate, there are already preparations being made for the next academic year.

• Students can find Category 5 tabling at the spring concert.
  • The Supreme Court has three open seats for next year. These seats are lifetime positions, meaning students won’t have to continue running to stay in office.
  • SG will be sponsoring a study break with Insomnia Cookies and milk from 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28 on the Green.
  • Student Health Advisory Committee will be handing out study kits from 12 -2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28 on the Rock. Greek life will also be hosting a study break on Monday, April 27 from 6-8 p.m. on the Rock.
  • Due to the success of the student-athlete talent show, it will become an annual event.
  • The Elections Commission report included a bill that passed to change the elections calendar for the fall of 2015. The schedule is as follows:
    Monday, Aug. 31 Filing for candidacy begins at 9 a.m. Info packets available in SG Interest Session
    Tuesday, Sept. 8 Mandatory Referenda Writing 8:30 p.m.Informational Meeting about application and positions, 9:30 p.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 8 Elections Commission tabling in the Breezeway reminding students to vote (free giveaways)
    Monday, Sept. 14 Filing for candidacy and referenda ends. Applications due online by 9 a.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 16 Mandatory Candidates’ and Referenda Sponsors’ meeting, 9:15 p.m.
    Thursday, Sept. 17 Interim Period begins, 8 a.m.; Candidates may reach out to student organizations in regards to setting up meetings/speaking at events
    Wednesday, Sept. 23 Graphic campaigning begins, 8 a.m. Open forum on elections/Meet the Candidates 7 p.m. Residential Colleges
    Monday, Sept. 28 Elections – Day 1
    Tuesday, Sept. 29 Elections – Day 2
    Wednesday, Sept. 30 Elections – Day 3
    Thursday, Oct. 1 Run-off Election Day 1 (if necessary)
    Friday, Oct. 2 Run-off Election Day 2 (if necessary)

Alina Zerpa

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas