News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: SG to offer Insomnia Cookies at study break

For the last meeting of Student Government’s (SG) Senate, there are already preparations being made for the next academic year.

• Students can find Category 5 tabling at the spring concert.
  • The Supreme Court has three open seats for next year. These seats are lifetime positions, meaning students won’t have to continue running to stay in office.
  • SG will be sponsoring a study break with Insomnia Cookies and milk from 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28 on the Green.
  • Student Health Advisory Committee will be handing out study kits from 12 -2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28 on the Rock. Greek life will also be hosting a study break on Monday, April 27 from 6-8 p.m. on the Rock.
  • Due to the success of the student-athlete talent show, it will become an annual event.
  • The Elections Commission report included a bill that passed to change the elections calendar for the fall of 2015. The schedule is as follows:
    Monday, Aug. 31 Filing for candidacy begins at 9 a.m. Info packets available in SG Interest Session
    Tuesday, Sept. 8 Mandatory Referenda Writing 8:30 p.m.Informational Meeting about application and positions, 9:30 p.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 8 Elections Commission tabling in the Breezeway reminding students to vote (free giveaways)
    Monday, Sept. 14 Filing for candidacy and referenda ends. Applications due online by 9 a.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 16 Mandatory Candidates’ and Referenda Sponsors’ meeting, 9:15 p.m.
    Thursday, Sept. 17 Interim Period begins, 8 a.m.; Candidates may reach out to student organizations in regards to setting up meetings/speaking at events
    Wednesday, Sept. 23 Graphic campaigning begins, 8 a.m. Open forum on elections/Meet the Candidates 7 p.m. Residential Colleges
    Monday, Sept. 28 Elections – Day 1
    Tuesday, Sept. 29 Elections – Day 2
    Wednesday, Sept. 30 Elections – Day 3
    Thursday, Oct. 1 Run-off Election Day 1 (if necessary)
    Friday, Oct. 2 Run-off Election Day 2 (if necessary)

Alina Zerpa

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...