News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: SG to offer Insomnia Cookies at study break

For the last meeting of Student Government’s (SG) Senate, there are already preparations being made for the next academic year.

• Students can find Category 5 tabling at the spring concert.
  • The Supreme Court has three open seats for next year. These seats are lifetime positions, meaning students won’t have to continue running to stay in office.
  • SG will be sponsoring a study break with Insomnia Cookies and milk from 6-8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28 on the Green.
  • Student Health Advisory Committee will be handing out study kits from 12 -2 p.m. on Tuesday, April 28 on the Rock. Greek life will also be hosting a study break on Monday, April 27 from 6-8 p.m. on the Rock.
  • Due to the success of the student-athlete talent show, it will become an annual event.
  • The Elections Commission report included a bill that passed to change the elections calendar for the fall of 2015. The schedule is as follows:
    Monday, Aug. 31 Filing for candidacy begins at 9 a.m. Info packets available in SG Interest Session
    Tuesday, Sept. 8 Mandatory Referenda Writing 8:30 p.m.Informational Meeting about application and positions, 9:30 p.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 8 Elections Commission tabling in the Breezeway reminding students to vote (free giveaways)
    Monday, Sept. 14 Filing for candidacy and referenda ends. Applications due online by 9 a.m.
    Wednesday, Sept. 16 Mandatory Candidates’ and Referenda Sponsors’ meeting, 9:15 p.m.
    Thursday, Sept. 17 Interim Period begins, 8 a.m.; Candidates may reach out to student organizations in regards to setting up meetings/speaking at events
    Wednesday, Sept. 23 Graphic campaigning begins, 8 a.m. Open forum on elections/Meet the Candidates 7 p.m. Residential Colleges
    Monday, Sept. 28 Elections – Day 1
    Tuesday, Sept. 29 Elections – Day 2
    Wednesday, Sept. 30 Elections – Day 3
    Thursday, Oct. 1 Run-off Election Day 1 (if necessary)
    Friday, Oct. 2 Run-off Election Day 2 (if necessary)

Alina Zerpa

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...