News, Uncategorized

News Briefs 4/23

NEWS_Puppies_VM

Freshman Maya Lubarsky holds an American Bulldog puppy while senior Sophia Bernstein pets it during the UM Pre-Veterinary society’s annual Puppies on the Green Monday afternoon. One by One Dog Rescue brought the puppies in hopes of finding them permanent homes. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Kaos Spring Showcase

The University of Miami’s first co-ed hip hop dance team, KAOS, will be having their spring showcase. The showcase will exhibit performances that the team has practiced all semester long. Free for all students and open to the community, the show begins at 9 p.m. Thursday, April 23 on the Rock.

Flip a Table for Finals

The Transfer Student Association is helping students de-stress by providing tables to flip over. The free “group therapy session” is open for anyone stressed by finals from 12-2 p.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Rock.

‘Osmosis Jones’

The Center for Student Health and Counseling and the Cinematic Arts Commission are providing a study break for students to watch ‘Osmosis Jones’ and enjoy free food. The movie follows Osmosis Jones, a white blood cell,  who teams up with Drix, a cold pill, against Thrax, a deadly virus who plans to kill Frank (Bill Murray) in 48 hours. The event is free for all students from 8-10 p.m.  Monday,  April 27 at the Lakeside Patio.

Study Break

Several organizations on campus are providing study breaks for students during finals week. Commuter Assistants is giving out free finals survival kits from 10-11 a.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Green. Student Government is offering Insomnia Cookies and milk from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Green.  Student Health Advisory Committee will be handing out study kits from 12-2 p.m. Tuesday, April 28 on the Rock. Greek life will also be hosting a study break on Monday, April 27 from 6-8 p.m. on the Rock.

New website

The University of Miami’s new website will debut Friday, and it will focus more on a student perspective. It will include an opportunity for students to submit their own photos to be used on part of the site. The site’s address will continue to be miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...