News, Uncategorized

News Briefs 4/23

NEWS_Puppies_VM

Freshman Maya Lubarsky holds an American Bulldog puppy while senior Sophia Bernstein pets it during the UM Pre-Veterinary society’s annual Puppies on the Green Monday afternoon. One by One Dog Rescue brought the puppies in hopes of finding them permanent homes. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Kaos Spring Showcase

The University of Miami’s first co-ed hip hop dance team, KAOS, will be having their spring showcase. The showcase will exhibit performances that the team has practiced all semester long. Free for all students and open to the community, the show begins at 9 p.m. Thursday, April 23 on the Rock.

Flip a Table for Finals

The Transfer Student Association is helping students de-stress by providing tables to flip over. The free “group therapy session” is open for anyone stressed by finals from 12-2 p.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Rock.

‘Osmosis Jones’

The Center for Student Health and Counseling and the Cinematic Arts Commission are providing a study break for students to watch ‘Osmosis Jones’ and enjoy free food. The movie follows Osmosis Jones, a white blood cell,  who teams up with Drix, a cold pill, against Thrax, a deadly virus who plans to kill Frank (Bill Murray) in 48 hours. The event is free for all students from 8-10 p.m.  Monday,  April 27 at the Lakeside Patio.

Study Break

Several organizations on campus are providing study breaks for students during finals week. Commuter Assistants is giving out free finals survival kits from 10-11 a.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Green. Student Government is offering Insomnia Cookies and milk from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday,  April 28 on the Green.  Student Health Advisory Committee will be handing out study kits from 12-2 p.m. Tuesday, April 28 on the Rock. Greek life will also be hosting a study break on Monday, April 27 from 6-8 p.m. on the Rock.

New website

The University of Miami’s new website will debut Friday, and it will focus more on a student perspective. It will include an opportunity for students to submit their own photos to be used on part of the site. The site’s address will continue to be miami.edu.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...