Basketball, Sports

Miami announces Jamal Brunt as new assistant basketball coach

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the hiring of Jamal Brunt as assistant coach for the Canes.

“Jamal is smart, hard-working and skilled in every aspect of college coaching,” Larrañaga said. “He is an outstanding recruiter, communicator, teacher and great role model for our student athletes.”

He was formerly the associate head coach at the University of Richmond for the past 10 years. He started out in 2005 as director of operations for the Spiders, was promoted to an assistant coach in 2007 and then became associate head coach in 2013.

“I am extremely excited to be joining Coach Larrañaga and his staff at the University of Miami,” Brunt said in a release. “The opportunity to learn and grow under one of the best coaches in the country and in the best college basketball conference in the country was too good to be true. I am looking forward to help[ing] continue building on the success that Coach L and his staff have already established.”

He helped lead the Spiders to six postseason appearances and five 20-win seasons. In 2015, Brunt helped Richmond earn a top-four seed in the NIT where they lost to Miami in the quarterfinals.

Brunt is a Baltimore native and became an assistant coach at his alma mater Randolph-Macon for the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons before joining the Spiders.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Courtney Fiorini

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of