Basketball, Sports

Miami announces Jamal Brunt as new assistant basketball coach

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the hiring of Jamal Brunt as assistant coach for the Canes.

“Jamal is smart, hard-working and skilled in every aspect of college coaching,” Larrañaga said. “He is an outstanding recruiter, communicator, teacher and great role model for our student athletes.”

He was formerly the associate head coach at the University of Richmond for the past 10 years. He started out in 2005 as director of operations for the Spiders, was promoted to an assistant coach in 2007 and then became associate head coach in 2013.

“I am extremely excited to be joining Coach Larrañaga and his staff at the University of Miami,” Brunt said in a release. “The opportunity to learn and grow under one of the best coaches in the country and in the best college basketball conference in the country was too good to be true. I am looking forward to help[ing]continue building on the success that Coach L and his staff have already established.”

He helped lead the Spiders to six postseason appearances and five 20-win seasons. In 2015, Brunt helped Richmond earn a top-four seed in the NIT where they lost to Miami in the quarterfinals.

Brunt is a Baltimore native and became an assistant coach at his alma mater Randolph-Macon for the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons before joining the Spiders.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Courtney Fiorini

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...