Basketball, Sports

Miami announces Jamal Brunt as new assistant basketball coach

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the hiring of Jamal Brunt as assistant coach for the Canes.

“Jamal is smart, hard-working and skilled in every aspect of college coaching,” Larrañaga said. “He is an outstanding recruiter, communicator, teacher and great role model for our student athletes.”

He was formerly the associate head coach at the University of Richmond for the past 10 years. He started out in 2005 as director of operations for the Spiders, was promoted to an assistant coach in 2007 and then became associate head coach in 2013.

“I am extremely excited to be joining Coach Larrañaga and his staff at the University of Miami,” Brunt said in a release. “The opportunity to learn and grow under one of the best coaches in the country and in the best college basketball conference in the country was too good to be true. I am looking forward to help[ing]continue building on the success that Coach L and his staff have already established.”

He helped lead the Spiders to six postseason appearances and five 20-win seasons. In 2015, Brunt helped Richmond earn a top-four seed in the NIT where they lost to Miami in the quarterfinals.

Brunt is a Baltimore native and became an assistant coach at his alma mater Randolph-Macon for the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons before joining the Spiders.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Sports

Courtney Fiorini

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...