Embrace challenges wholeheartedly

T.S. Eliot and I have something in common. We’re not big fans of April.

I didn’t think my final issue as editor-in-chief would arrive this quickly.

These four years at the Hurricane have been crazy and exciting. Rather than write a heart-wrenching goodbye, I’ll depart with a snapshot of what I’ve learned after more than 100 deadlines spent aching over countless stories.

First, I’ll admit that breaking news can be your best friend, or rather, a frenemy whom you occasionally grab a cup of coffee with.

It’s been a particularly amazing year for breaking news: President Shalala stepping down, the president-elect Dr. Julio Frenk and, of course, football players and their shenanigans. These have made our jobs easier and more fun.

Additionally, this commitment to the 24/7 news cycle wouldn’t be possible without an amazing staff and incredible faculty adviser, Ileana Oroza. This year’s team has been top-notch in its commitment to fully embrace the Web.

However, this transition was definitely a challenge. We now publish stories daily and aggressively live-tweet during football games and big announcements.

I’m glad I played a role in this transition. It’s been a blast.

But above all, a newsroom staff is a home away from home. When we’re not editing stories or planning rundowns, we’ve quipped about Broadway musicals, obsessed over funny tweets and imagined ourselves in a mockumentary titled “#Journalism.”

The pilot episode is in the works. Check it out on a major premium cable channel.

Regardless of any hurdles we faced, the Hurricane is one of the best experiences of my undergraduate career. I have the utmost faith in next year’s staff to continue where we left off.

Keep up the good work. Savor every moment, even when the going gets tough and classes forget that you’re a journalist. And remember that when the news gods bless you, tweet, report, publish and repeat.

Mischief managed.

Alexander Gonzalez is graduating with a major in English.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...