Embrace challenges wholeheartedly

T.S. Eliot and I have something in common. We’re not big fans of April.

I didn’t think my final issue as editor-in-chief would arrive this quickly.

These four years at the Hurricane have been crazy and exciting. Rather than write a heart-wrenching goodbye, I’ll depart with a snapshot of what I’ve learned after more than 100 deadlines spent aching over countless stories.

First, I’ll admit that breaking news can be your best friend, or rather, a frenemy whom you occasionally grab a cup of coffee with.

It’s been a particularly amazing year for breaking news: President Shalala stepping down, the president-elect Dr. Julio Frenk and, of course, football players and their shenanigans. These have made our jobs easier and more fun.

Additionally, this commitment to the 24/7 news cycle wouldn’t be possible without an amazing staff and incredible faculty adviser, Ileana Oroza. This year’s team has been top-notch in its commitment to fully embrace the Web.

However, this transition was definitely a challenge. We now publish stories daily and aggressively live-tweet during football games and big announcements.

I’m glad I played a role in this transition. It’s been a blast.

But above all, a newsroom staff is a home away from home. When we’re not editing stories or planning rundowns, we’ve quipped about Broadway musicals, obsessed over funny tweets and imagined ourselves in a mockumentary titled “#Journalism.”

The pilot episode is in the works. Check it out on a major premium cable channel.

Regardless of any hurdles we faced, the Hurricane is one of the best experiences of my undergraduate career. I have the utmost faith in next year’s staff to continue where we left off.

Keep up the good work. Savor every moment, even when the going gets tough and classes forget that you’re a journalist. And remember that when the news gods bless you, tweet, report, publish and repeat.

Mischief managed.

Alexander Gonzalez is graduating with a major in English.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...