Sports, Tennis

Tennis team completes final match with victory

In the final match of the 2015 season, the Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team handed Pittsburgh a 7-0 shutout at home to seal in a stellar year.

Seniors Monique Albuquerque and Lina Lileikite were honored at the start of the match with flowers and awards before defeating both of their opponents in straight sets.

“Trustworthy, mature, hardworking,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said of Albuquerque and Lileikite. “These kids have put in a lot of hard work, lot of time, lot of sweat, lot of tears and have really grown up along the way. So, they’ve been a lot of fun to be around and a lot of fun to have on our team.”

Lileikite also made quick work of her doubles opponents with teammate and freshman Wendy Zhang. They won 8-4, which was shortly followed by freshman Sinead Lohan and junior Stephanie Wagner’s 8-3 win.

In singles play, No. 115 Lileikite defeated Callie Frey 6-3, 6-2 and Albuquerque took down her opponent, 6-1, 6-2. Just one minute later, junior Clementina Riobueno, doubles partner of Albuquerque, won her match to clinch the 7-0 shutout.

“Whenever you win a match 7-0, you’re happy,” Yaroshuk-Tews told HurricaneSports. “I think the girls played well today, but I think that our best tennis is still in front of us.”

This statement win leads a four-match win streak into the postseason, which is the second-longest win streak of the Hurricanes’ season – they started 2015 with six straight wins.

Four of Miami’s six singles players are ranked, led by No. 8 Wagner, and two doubles squads are ranked as well.

As the regular season comes to a close, Miami ends with an impressive final record of 13-3 and 12-2 for the conference. Miami’s only conference losses were to Virginia Tech and North Carolina, who is ranked No. 1.

In possession of second place in the ACC, the Hurricanes will travel to the ACC Tournament, their next challenge with a double-bye as the No. 2 seed behind North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will participate in the ACC Tournament this week in Cary, North Carolina.

Alexa Pappas

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...