Blogs, UBuzz

Behind the scenes and spices of TMH’s global flavors cover

Art Director Sarbani Ghosh photographs a collection of global spices for The Miami Hurricane's "Savor Global Flavor" issue.

Art Director Sarbani Ghosh photographs a collection of global spices for The Miami Hurricane’s “Savor Global Flavors” issue.

If our food issue left you hungry for more, check out what went on behind the scenes in the making of our “Savor Global Flavors” issue.

Art Director Sarbani Ghosh, Designer Emma Deardorff and Edge Editor Ashley Martinez spent Saturday at Trader Joe’s and Publix picking up the perfect ingredients for the shoot.

More than 20 spices went into this issue to depict six international spice combinations and six continents. (Sorry, Antarctica, you didn’t make the cut.)

Here’s a breakdown of our spice inspiration for each continent.

spices globe

With a world of flavors available, it’s time to break out of takeout. For those looking for a way to jazz up routine recipes, without much skill or expense, the answer is to add spices. Each cuisine has its distinct flavor comprised of regional spices.

North America: We went with parsley for America because it’s prevalent in cuisines throughout the world, and America is a melting pot of different cultures.

Canada: Peppercorns are typically used on steaks and Canada is well-known for its steakhouses.

South America: Chili Powder is a staple of the warm, rich cuisines found throughout the continent.

Greenland: Garlic is integral in nearly every flavor profile on the map. We chose it to represent the frosty temperatures of snow-covered Greenland.

Europe: As a land of many countries and cultures and with so much diversity, it is striking how many countries in the region incorporate fennel into their traditional meals.

Africa: Africa’s thyme production industry coupled with the fact that the green resembles the African savanna made thyme the perfect fit for it.

Russia: The Russian Federation in northern Eurasia is home to rich, hearty stews that incorporate warm flavors like paprika.

Middle East/Asia: This region is the bright yellow of Turmeric, a spice prevalent in many of its dishes.

Australia: The land down under is a vibrant combination of crushed red pepper flakes that symbolize the country’s hot temperatures.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...