Administration, News

Vice provost Brian Blake to leave for Drexel University

M. Brian Blake, the vice provost for academic affairs and dean of the Graduate School, will be leaving the University of Miami to be the provost of Drexel University. His terms begins Aug. 1.

Blake oversees graduate degree programs across 11 schools and colleges that enroll more than 5,200 graduate students each year. He joined the UM staff in July 2012 and has also served as a professor of computer science, electrical and computer engineering and human genetics.

“Our family will truly miss daily life at the U, but we do plan to keep our lifelong friendships,” Blake said. “From a professional perspective, the decision to move is bittersweet and more reflects my desire to help craft a narrative much like President Shalala at an institution like Drexel.”

Drexel President John A. Fry looks forward to seeing Blake join the staff, according to an official university statement posted on Drexel’s website.

“Dr. Blake brings an inspiring vision for an agile, experiential, global form of education, honed in a variety of leadership roles at three of the nation’s best private research universities,” he wrote. “He is also an outstanding researcher, teacher and engineer.”

Additionally, Blake has been leading the Task Force to Address Black Students’ Concerns, created by President Donna E. Shalala as a result of the negative backlash after a Black Lives Matter protest in fall 2014.

Made up of students and faculty, the task force has been evaluating UM’s diversity and how it compares to other universities. On May 15, the task force will release a report with recommendations that can be implemented at UM.

Students, such as senior Mischael Cetoute, who have worked with Blake in the task force, regard him as a “tremendous resource for students.”

Since his sophomore year, Cetoute has worked with Blake and says “his successor will have fairly large shoes to fill.”

“Ever since we began working on the task force, I’ve been able to see more of his personality and I think his humility and amicable temperament are his most defining features,” Cetoute said.

On the task force, Cetoute has noticed how Blake’s leadership has been incredibly helpful to accomplishing their goals.

“Throughout the entire process, he’s been fairly deliberate about students speaking up, getting the answers to our questions and in general having a very active role in shaping the outcomes of the task force,” he said.

Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc also recognizes Blake for his impact at the university.

“As dean of the graduate school, he has been a prominent spokesperson for the role of graduate education, the quality of graduate programs and for the interests of graduate students. As vice provost for academic affairs, he has led efforts to strengthen and diversify the faculty and to train the next generation of academic leaders,” LeBlanc said. “He leaves the University of Miami stronger for his efforts, and we all wish him well in his new role as provost.”

Alina Zerpa

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...