Edge, Food

Travel not required to sample flavors from around globe

For those looking to take a culinary journey around the world, graduate from to-go eats to authentic global meals. Read about Edge’s top picks for genuine, traditional dishes depending on your cuisine cravings.

Chinese

See what Siyuan Tong suggests as the top authentic Chinese restaurants:

-Chang’s Chinese Restaurant

-South Garden Chinese Restaurant

-Chop Suey International Restaurant

-Tropical Chinese Restaurant

Argentinian

Explore the five tastiest treats Argentina has to offer in Miami, according to Donatela Vacca:

-Churros, fried dough pastry

-Helado, homemade ice cream

-Milanesa, a breaded meat dish

-Choripan, a chorizo sandwich

-Medialuna, a croissant-like pastry

Turkish

Marwan Alenezi explores South Florida’s  authentic Turkish restaurants:

-Miami Mediterranean

-Babylon

-Mandolin Aegean Bistro

-Griffin Food Market

Cuban

Cuban restaurants are a dime-a-dozen in Miami. Check out Esther Ponce de Leon’s guide to the most authentic:

-Versailles Restaurant

-La Carreta

-La Casita

-Morro Castle

-Havana 1957 Cuban Cuisine

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...