Edge, Food

Travel not required to sample flavors from around globe

For those looking to take a culinary journey around the world, graduate from to-go eats to authentic global meals. Read about Edge’s top picks for genuine, traditional dishes depending on your cuisine cravings.

Chinese

See what Siyuan Tong suggests as the top authentic Chinese restaurants:

-Chang’s Chinese Restaurant

-South Garden Chinese Restaurant

-Chop Suey International Restaurant

-Tropical Chinese Restaurant

Argentinian

Explore the five tastiest treats Argentina has to offer in Miami, according to Donatela Vacca:

-Churros, fried dough pastry

-Helado, homemade ice cream

-Milanesa, a breaded meat dish

-Choripan, a chorizo sandwich

-Medialuna, a croissant-like pastry

Turkish

Marwan Alenezi explores South Florida’s  authentic Turkish restaurants:

-Miami Mediterranean

-Babylon

-Mandolin Aegean Bistro

-Griffin Food Market

Cuban

Cuban restaurants are a dime-a-dozen in Miami. Check out Esther Ponce de Leon’s guide to the most authentic:

-Versailles Restaurant

-La Carreta

-La Casita

-Morro Castle

-Havana 1957 Cuban Cuisine

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...