Golf, Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs 4/20

Golf

The No. 26-ranked Miami Hurricanes women’s golf team ended the season at the 2015 ACC Women’s Golf Championship Saturday. The Canes had a three-round total of 893, finishing 10th. The championship was held at the par 72, 6,089-yard Sedgefield Country Club. Sophomore Daniela Darquea led the Canes, tying for eighth. This was her seventh top-10 finish this season. Darquea had a final round score even par, 72.

Women’s tennis

Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis ended the season with a 7-0 win over Pittsburgh. The No. 16 Canes will go into the ACC Championship Wednesday 16-5 and 12-2 in the ACC. No. 8 ITA- ranked Stephanie Wagner won her singles match 6-3, 6-3. This weekend also began the inaugural Tennis Alumni Weekend for former players and coaches. Over 50 alumni from the past seven decades (1950s to 2014) gathered for the weekend festivities.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...