News Briefs 4/20

NEWSBRIEFS_UM 90th

In celebration of the University’s 90th birthday students posed for pictures with colorful props. Other activities included writing thank you letters to President Shala, signing a chalkboard mural, and eating birthday cake. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

50th Birthday Party

The University Center is turning 50 years old on Wednesday. Several events will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the Student Center Complex to celebrate the anniversary.

On the Lakeside Patio, there will be a 1960s-themed photo booth, cake pops, and make your own dog tags. At 12:45 p.m., the UC Pool is having a dive show. The UC Lower Lounge and Breezeway will display a photography exhibit, and giveaway Coca-Cola and vouchers for free cookies at the Rathskeller. In the food court, Built will offer 50-cent fries, and Innovation Kitchen will sell pigs in a blanket.

The university community can post photos on social media with the hashtag #HappyBdayUC.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness is celebrating Earth Day with its annual Hug the Lake event, where students join hands around Lake Osceola. The free event is open for all students and faculty, and participants will receive a free T-shirt. Additionally, Commuter Assistants  will be handing out free dirt cups for the first 50 students who attend the event.

Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Student leaders pair up with faculty members for the fourth annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars Competition, presented by the Miami Ballroom Club. Participating students include David Cortes Ortiz, Jesus Melendez, Brittany Maffett, Christel Wekon-Kemeni, Jake Kaplan, Jake Gillman, Alison Scudds, Pooja Mayur and Brett Lerner. The event is free for students and faculty, and will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...