News Briefs 4/20

NEWSBRIEFS_UM 90th

In celebration of the University’s 90th birthday students posed for pictures with colorful props. Other activities included writing thank you letters to President Shala, signing a chalkboard mural, and eating birthday cake. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

50th Birthday Party

The University Center is turning 50 years old on Wednesday. Several events will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. throughout the Student Center Complex to celebrate the anniversary.

On the Lakeside Patio, there will be a 1960s-themed photo booth, cake pops, and make your own dog tags. At 12:45 p.m., the UC Pool is having a dive show. The UC Lower Lounge and Breezeway will display a photography exhibit, and giveaway Coca-Cola and vouchers for free cookies at the Rathskeller. In the food court, Built will offer 50-cent fries, and Innovation Kitchen will sell pigs in a blanket.

The university community can post photos on social media with the hashtag #HappyBdayUC.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness is celebrating Earth Day with its annual Hug the Lake event, where students join hands around Lake Osceola. The free event is open for all students and faculty, and participants will receive a free T-shirt. Additionally, Commuter Assistants  will be handing out free dirt cups for the first 50 students who attend the event.

Dancing with the UMiami Stars

Student leaders pair up with faculty members for the fourth annual Dancing with the UMiami Stars Competition, presented by the Miami Ballroom Club. Participating students include David Cortes Ortiz, Jesus Melendez, Brittany Maffett, Christel Wekon-Kemeni, Jake Kaplan, Jake Gillman, Alison Scudds, Pooja Mayur and Brett Lerner. The event is free for students and faculty, and will begin at 7 p.m. Thursday in the SAC Center Ballroom.

Alina Zerpa may be emailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...