Blogs, Miami Globe Trotter

Miami Globe Trotter: ‘Do things that scare you,’ like South African bungee jumping

Photo Courtesy Face Adrenaline

Photo Courtesy Face Adrenaline

Toeing the edge of a bridge 216 meters (709 feet) tall, I barely had enough time to think to myself, “How did I end up here?”

Suddenly my legs jumped me off the Bloukrans Bridge in South Africa, the highest commercial bridge bungee in the world. There was a split second after my feet had left the bridge when fear overcame my entire body and consumed me from the inside out.

Holy @#$&*?! I just jumped off a bridge.  

Almost instantly, I had transformed from someone who jumped off a bridge to someone who was flying. I mean I was literally flying through the air – head first towards the Bloukrans River with only an elastic cord as my lifeline.

The split second of fear was instantly replaced by the feeling of complete freedom and bliss. Laughter consumed me. Yes, dangling upside down by an elastic cord, I was laughing like a little kid.

Hanging upside down, I observed my surroundings. With the lush greenery and a grayish-blue river raging below me, I felt the mist in the air on my skin. Hearing my heart thumping through my chest, I felt alive.

After being hoisted back up to the bridge, I had a bounce in my step and a smile that spread ear to ear. I felt invincible and empowered because I jumped off a 700-foot tall bridge and survived.

To this day, I don’t understand why I was overcome with such happiness. I would not typically correlate near-death experiences with bliss, but I suppose that’s the magic of adrenaline.

Though bungee jumping was absolutely unreal, you don’t have to jump off a bridge to experience this feeling of liberation.

Do things that scare you, I mean, the stuff that really terrifies you. Sail around the world in a ship for 112 days. Travel to a foreign country and experience a different culture. Talk to that person you pass every day on campus but have never spoken to. Why not?

If the unknown is scary, then knowledge and experience is freedom. When you set in your mind that you hate something before trying it, you limit yourself and miss opportunities to grow and learn.

Coming from the girl who just jumped off a bridge (hey that’s me!), try something that scares you. Whether it’s today, tomorrow, or in a week from now, remember that fear is temporary but regret is permanent. Until next time!

Jamie Servidio

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...