Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball wins ninth straight in top 25 win

Hurricanes left fielder Carl Chester bats against UCF Wednesday night at Mark Light Field // The Miami Hurricane

It was a little bit of déjà vu at Mark Light Field as the No. 9 Miami Hurricanes battled the No. 19 UCF Knights on Wednesday night. A week after going into extra innings against No. 21 Florida Atlantic, the Cardiac Canes were at it again, bringing the game down to the wire.

“If you play the teams from down here, they’re all pretty good,” head coach Jim Morris said. “I don’t care if it’s FAU or Central Florida or South Florida. All those clubs are good. There’s a lot of good players down here in South Florida. Because of that, everybody’s good.”

Miami (29-9) and UCF (25-13) were locked at two for two and a half innings before the Hurricanes loaded the bases in the seventh. Then, Garrett Kennedy stepped up to the plate and smacked a 2-RBI single to right field. The catcher is the Hurricanes’ leading batter with an average of .382 and is on a nine-game hit streak.

Willie Abreu launched a home run, also to right field, in the second that tied the Knights’ run in the opening inning.

“I’m not changing my approach,” the sophomore said when asked if he has been trying to hit for power. This was only his second homer of the season. “I just continue to work with my coaches and have trust in what they want me to do and I continue to do what they tell me.”

UCF answered in the fourth when Tommy Williams hit a home run. Despite two earned runs from starter Danny Garcia, the defense and relief pitchers were able to back him up.

“That’s all you can ask is to have a good start by those guys and have our bullpen keep it going,” Kennedy said.

Bryan Garcia got his eighth save, going three up, three down including one strikeout. Michael Mediavilla gets the win for Miami, pitching two-thirds of an inning in the seventh.

Miami travels to Virginia to play a weekend series. The team completed a 9-game home stand, winning every game. The Virginia series can be heard on WVUM 90.5 FM.

Victoria Hernandez

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...