Sports, Tennis

Men’s tennis season to close at home

The men’s tennis team is struggling as the regular season winds down.  The Hurricanes have lost four straight matches to ACC opponents, all by the score of 7-0.

“It has been a difficult stretch for us,” Head Coach Mario Rincon told HurricaneSports.com after the team fell to North Carolina State on Sunday.

“Our team is not playing with confidence after the losses and the ACC conference is as strong as it has ever been. That’s a bad combination in this league.”

The skid began on April 3 in Tallahassee when Miami lost to No. 32 Florida State. Before the shutout at the hands of the Seminoles, the team had one of its best performances of the season in a 6-1 victory over Boston College on March 29.

Since that win over the Eagles more than two weeks ago, the Canes have failed to net a single point in any of its matches against FSU, Louisville, Wake Forest or NC State.

The Canes will finish the regular season with a losing record for the first time in three years. The team currently sits near the bottom of the ACC standings with a 7-14 overall record and an abysmal 1-9 mark in conference play.

Although the final two games of the regular season are in Coral Gables this weekend, the Hurricanes will have a tough time avoiding getting shut out again, let alone winning.

The Canes face No. 14 Virginia Tech on Friday and then No. 4 University of Virginia on Sunday to close out the season. The top two teams in the ACC have combined to win 35 matches on the year. The Cavaliers boast the No. 4 singles player in the country in junior Ryan Shane and the No. 5 doubles team with Shane joined by sophomore Luca Corinteli.

The Hurricanes play the Hokies at 2 p.m. Friday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Featured image courtesy of Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...