Culture

Edge Briefs 4/16

#TBT Patio Jams

In April 1925, a group of citizens chartered the University of Miami as a place for higher education. In celebration of the 90th anniversary of this charter, the weekly Patio Jams concert will be themed as a hashtag #TBT Patio Jams. The Throwback Thursday event will feature an alumni band from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at the UC Patio.

‘Adding Machine’

“Adding Machine: A Musical” opens at 8 p.m. on Thursday in the Hecht Studio Theater. The show is a musical adaptation of Elmer Rice’s 1923 play “The Adding Machine.” The show follows anti-hero Mr. Zero, who murders his boss after 25 years on the job because he was replaced by an adding machine.

MTV’s ‘Girl Code’ #ATTHERAT

The Rathskeller Advisory Board and Hurricane productions will host MTV’s “Girl Code” from 8-10 p.m. Friday at the Rat.  The TV show provides tips for starting discussions about being a woman and covers topics such as “frenemies,” drinking and dating. Female comics, athletes and entertainers will attend the discussion.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas