Edge Briefs 4/16

#TBT Patio Jams

In April 1925, a group of citizens chartered the University of Miami as a place for higher education. In celebration of the 90th anniversary of this charter, the weekly Patio Jams concert will be themed as a hashtag #TBT Patio Jams. The Throwback Thursday event will feature an alumni band from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at the UC Patio.

‘Adding Machine’

“Adding Machine: A Musical” opens at 8 p.m. on Thursday in the Hecht Studio Theater. The show is a musical adaptation of Elmer Rice’s 1923 play “The Adding Machine.” The show follows anti-hero Mr. Zero, who murders his boss after 25 years on the job because he was replaced by an adding machine.

MTV’s ‘Girl Code’ #ATTHERAT

The Rathskeller Advisory Board and Hurricane productions will host MTV’s “Girl Code” from 8-10 p.m. Friday at the Rat.  The TV show provides tips for starting discussions about being a woman and covers topics such as “frenemies,” drinking and dating. Female comics, athletes and entertainers will attend the discussion.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...