Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Track celebrates Senior Day in Hurricane Alumni Invitational

Miami's seniors were honored at the end of this weekend's Hurricane Alumni Invitational // Courtesy Miami Athletics

Miami’s seniors were honored at the end of this weekend’s Hurricane Alumni Invitational. // Courtesy Miami Athletics

It was a celebratory weekend at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational, as the Miami Hurricanes track team excelled in their last home meet of the season.

It was senior night for 13 seniors, each of whom received a framed Miami track jersey.

On the men’s side, the graduates included sprinter Christian Cook, jumper Innocent Jacob and distance runner AJ Ricketts.

For the women, 10 athletes were recognized for their successes during their UM careers. They were hurdlers Kelsey Balkwill and Kayann Richards; middle distance runner Taneisha Cordell; distance runners Ally Finical and Julia Koch; sprinters Jokira Jiles and Shannon Wright; and thrower Lea Johnson.

On Friday, it was Johnson who led the Canes. Johnson won the women’s hammer throw with a distance of 58.61m. It was an ideal ending to the senior’s UM career, which has flourished this season. Johnson won the 2015 indoor weight throwing competition and was named an indoor first team All-American.

It was also a strong weekend for the women’s throwers, as Precious Ogunleye won the women’s discus after hurling one 49.30m, and Tiffany Okieme won the women’s shot put with a distance of 14.83m.

Sophomore Carlos Mangum was the top college thrower in the men’s hammer throw, setting a personal record of 63.27m at the Alumni Invitational. Mangum is the Miami outdoor hammer throw record holder.

Shakima Wimbley, Miami’s standout sophomore sprinter, led the women’s 4x100m relay to a second place finish. The quartet of Wimbley, Kayann Richards, Trishelle Leacock and Kesley Blackwill raced to a 44.82 second finish, which was the top collegiate time.

Wimbley also motored to the best collegiate time in the women’s 200m, tying the fourth fastest time in UM history and setting a personal record of 23.08 seconds.

Jakima Glades, who was an All-ACC performer in the 400m hurdles last season, won the women’s 100m hurdles with a time of 13.43 seconds. Glades finished second in the 400m hurdles, but set a personal record with a time of 57.51 seconds.

Alysha Newman jumped to new heights, winning the women’s pole vault after clearing a height of 4.15 meters.

Next, the Hurricanes track and field team will move to Gainesville on April 24 to take on the field at the Tom Jones Memorial Invitational.

Mark Poulose

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...