News, Shalala

University of Miami expected to name Harvard dean Julio Frenk as sixth president

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk's Twitter

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk’s Twitter

Dr. Julio Frenk is expected to be named the sixth president of the University of Miami on Monday.

Frenk, dean of faculty at Harvard’s School of Public Health, would be the first Hispanic president of UM.

SEE ALSO: Presidential Search Committee’s 13 members will select Shalala’s successor

After the UM Board of Trustees takes a vote Monday morning to confirm Frenk during an executive meeting, the university will hold a press conference at noon concerning the future of the institution’s leadership.

The university declined to comment.

The Miami Hurricane will offer live tweets from the press conference at noon. Follow the latest updates on Twitter at @MiamiHurricane.

Check back to themiamihurricane.com for the full story after the press conference and throughout the day as we continue to cover further developments.

Related stories

Donna E. Shalala will step down at school year’s end

Top 10 Yik Yak Reactions to Shalala Stepping Down

Shalala’s successor should shine as brightly

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...