News, Shalala

University of Miami expected to name Harvard dean Julio Frenk as sixth president

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk's Twitter

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk’s Twitter

Dr. Julio Frenk is expected to be named the sixth president of the University of Miami on Monday.

Frenk, dean of faculty at Harvard’s School of Public Health, would be the first Hispanic president of UM.

SEE ALSO: Presidential Search Committee’s 13 members will select Shalala’s successor

After the UM Board of Trustees takes a vote Monday morning to confirm Frenk during an executive meeting, the university will hold a press conference at noon concerning the future of the institution’s leadership.

The university declined to comment.

The Miami Hurricane will offer live tweets from the press conference at noon. Follow the latest updates on Twitter at @MiamiHurricane.

Check back to themiamihurricane.com for the full story after the press conference and throughout the day as we continue to cover further developments.

Related stories

Donna E. Shalala will step down at school year’s end

Top 10 Yik Yak Reactions to Shalala Stepping Down

Shalala’s successor should shine as brightly

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...