News, Shalala

University of Miami expected to name Harvard dean Julio Frenk as sixth president

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk's Twitter

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk’s Twitter

Dr. Julio Frenk is expected to be named the sixth president of the University of Miami on Monday.

Frenk, dean of faculty at Harvard’s School of Public Health, would be the first Hispanic president of UM.

SEE ALSO: Presidential Search Committee’s 13 members will select Shalala’s successor

After the UM Board of Trustees takes a vote Monday morning to confirm Frenk during an executive meeting, the university will hold a press conference at noon concerning the future of the institution’s leadership.

The university declined to comment.

The Miami Hurricane will offer live tweets from the press conference at noon. Follow the latest updates on Twitter at @MiamiHurricane.

Check back to themiamihurricane.com for the full story after the press conference and throughout the day as we continue to cover further developments.

Related stories

Donna E. Shalala will step down at school year’s end

Top 10 Yik Yak Reactions to Shalala Stepping Down

Shalala’s successor should shine as brightly

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...