News, Shalala

University of Miami expected to name Harvard dean Julio Frenk as sixth president

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk's Twitter

Julio Frenk // Photo via Frenk’s Twitter

Dr. Julio Frenk is expected to be named the sixth president of the University of Miami on Monday.

Frenk, dean of faculty at Harvard’s School of Public Health, would be the first Hispanic president of UM.

SEE ALSO: Presidential Search Committee’s 13 members will select Shalala’s successor

After the UM Board of Trustees takes a vote Monday morning to confirm Frenk during an executive meeting, the university will hold a press conference at noon concerning the future of the institution’s leadership.

The university declined to comment.

The Miami Hurricane will offer live tweets from the press conference at noon. Follow the latest updates on Twitter at @MiamiHurricane.

Check back to themiamihurricane.com for the full story after the press conference and throughout the day as we continue to cover further developments.

Related stories

Donna E. Shalala will step down at school year’s end

Top 10 Yik Yak Reactions to Shalala Stepping Down

Shalala’s successor should shine as brightly

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...