Sports Briefs 4/13

Golf

Miami Hurricanes women’s golf team tied for fifth at the 2015 SMU Invitational. The No. 27-ranked Hurricanes earned a total score of 900. The two-day competition was held at the Dallas Athletic Club. Seniors Rika Park and Leticia Ras-Anderica led the Canes, as Park had a strong final round shooting two-under-par (70). She  was one of six golfers to shoot under par in the third round. Ras-Anderica shot even in both her second and third rounds. Sophomore Delfina Acosta tied for 29th, scoring 76 in the final round and a total of 227, while sophomore Daniela Darquea tied for 35th. No. 14-ranked Oklahoma State won the tournament. The Canes will play this weekend in the 2015 ACC Championship in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Track and Field

The Canes track and field program ended the Hurricane Alumni Invitational on a strong note. Miami’s 4x100m relay team of Kayann Richards, Shakima Wimbley, Trishelle Leacock and Kelsey Balkwill combined for a time of 44.82 seconds to earn second overall and turn in the top collegiate time. Wimbley was the top collegian in the 200m, finishing second with a personal-best time of 23.08 seconds. She is tied for fourth in UM history with Krista Simkins. On the men’s team, Anthony Wolliston was the top Cane with a 10th place finish and a personal-best of 21.61 seconds. Jamika Glades won the women’s 100m hurdles, while Kayann Richards won Heat 2 of the women’s 100m hurdles and finished fifth. For the men, Christian Cook finished fourth in the men’s 110m hurdles and Cory Nelms placed fifth.

Rowing

The Miami Hurricanes rowing team had two of four boats advance to Sunday’s semi-finals after a strong showing on the opening day of the Knecht Cup. Inclement weather delayed the opening day of the Knecht Cup, forcing the 1V8+ and 2V8+ to be delayed until the evening. Miami’s 2V8+ finished second in heat one with a time of 6:54.48, earning a spot in Sunday’s semi-final. The Canes finished just behind heat winner, UCF, and ahead of Holy Cross, UConn, Duquesne, Canisius and Fairfield. The 1V8+ won heat four. The Canes will face UCF on April 25 to prepare for the ACC Championships on May 15-16. 

Swimming and Diving

Redshirt senior diver Sam Dorman, who won the NCAA men’s title in the 3-meter at the Division I Swimming & Diving Championships in March, has qualified for this summer’s World Championships, announced Saturday. In the USA Diving Synchronized National Championships in Greensboro, Dorman teamed with Kristian Ipsen of Stanford. Dorman and Ipsen scored 853.38 points over two lists of 3-meter synchro dives to earn the national title and a trip to the World Championships. The two will travel to Kazan, Russia and represent U.S. internationally.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Featured image courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtney Fiorini

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...