Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball hits stride with win streak

SPORTS_BaseballvsVAtech_SC

Junior right-handed pitcher Enrique Sosa (No. 47) winds up for a pitch during Sunday’s game against Virginia Tech. Sosa pitched for seven full innings and allowed three hits and made six strikeouts. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Miami knew the importance of the two weeks that preceded their series against Virginia and Florida State.

The Canes have been up to the task; Miami has now won eight in a row, putting themselves in a prime position as the ACC season begins to wind down.

Utilizing a second straight weekend of dominating pitching and an electric offense, the Miami Hurricanes (28-9, 14-4 ACC) swept Virginia Tech (17-20, 7-11) by a combined score of 34-6. Miami won 11-1 Friday night, 14-4 Saturday and 9-1 Sunday afternoon.

“Our pitching, hitting and defense all came together,” said Jim Morris after Sunday’s win. “It was big for us to get a sweep at home.”

Miami was led Sunday by Enrique Sosa, who pitched a career-high seven innings, giving up just three hits in his second straight quality start while picking up his fifth win of the season.

“I was trying to keep the ball down,” said Sosa, who has performed very well this season in the Sunday spot in the rotation and replaced Bryan Radziewski. “When I was struggling, I was trying to strike out more hitters. The last two outings, I’ve tried to just get ahead and let the defense work behind me.”

Miami was leading 4-0 Sunday when David Thompson launched a three-run home run to left center field to essentially put the game, and series, away. It was Thompson’s 10th home run of the season, leading the Hurricanes.

“It’s been a lot of fun. Our whole team has been hitting well all year,” Thompson said. This season, Miami is hitting over .300. “He threw a slider down, then left a fastball right over the heart of the plate, and I put a good swing on it.”

On Saturday night, Andy Suarez threw six strong innings for Miami, giving up just three earned runs, while the night before, Thomas Woodrey earned his fourth win, giving up just one run in six innings pitched.

With eight straight wins and nine consecutive ACC home wins, Miami heads into a critical two week stretch in conference play performing at its best.

The Hurricanes will travel to Virginia this weekend. Although UVA is struggling in conference play, it is a preseason top five pick that has plenty of offensive power and solid pitchers, including preseason All-American Nathan Kirby.

A home series against Florida State will follow. The Noles were swept on the road at Notre Dame this weekend but should still be ranked come that series at the Light.

If Miami continues to play at the level they have the past two weeks, the Canes may be in the hunt for a regional bid, and a national seed as well.

AJ Ricketts

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...