Baseball, Sports

Senior Garrett Kennedy leads Miami into weekend series against Virginia Tech

Garrett Kennedy (No. 40) slides into third base in the bottom of the third inning in the last game of the series against Duke. The Canes beat the Blue Devils 10-0 and swept the series Sunday. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Heading into Miami’s important weekend series against Virginia Tech, there may be no player on the roster in as much of a rhythm as senior catcher Garrett Kennedy.

In last weekend’s series against Duke, Kennedy went 8-for-11, helping the Hurricanes earn their second ACC sweep in four weeks. Confident and self-assured, Kennedy has risen to the top of the lineup and produced consistent results for Miami.

“You go out there, and you work hard every day, and, you know, things will fall into place. If you just keep working hard…that’s what I believe in. Be the first guy there, get your work in, and get your opportunities,” Kennedy said.

For Kennedy, hitting is all about confidence.

“You have confidence up there [if]you’re able to put good swings on pitches. If you go up there, you’re two-for-two, then you’re like, ‘Ah, I’m gonna go three-for-three right here,’” Kennedy said. “Hitting is something where you have to keep mentally strong up top.”

Despite how far Kennedy and the Canes have come, he knows that as a team – even as the top-ranked team in the ACC Coastal Division – they still have more work to do.

“We know we’re playing pretty well right now, but our goal is to be in the Top 8, and right now, we’re not in the Top 8,” Kennedy said. “So we have to keep working every day, day in and day out, to get to our goal, and then everything will take care of that,” he said.

Coach Jim Morris has been impressed at the resurgence of his senior catcher.

“[Garrett] stayed during the summer and worked very hard. No question about it,” Morris said. “Our expectations were that Garrett Kennedy, last year as a junior, would have a big year and sign pro.”

Kayla Lott

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...